FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duplicating a clip causes their grades to be synced

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jenkins
Duplicating a clip causes their grades to be synced
on Jul 30, 2014 at 9:28:38 pm

Hi forum,

I am trying to duplicate a clip in the timeline so I can apply two different grades and blend them. I noticed that when comparing two grades with a reference wipe, using the "Mix" function gave me exactly the look I wanted, which was different from either of the two grades. So I figured I could duplicate the clip, apply "Warm" to one clip and "Cool" to the other, then play around with blend modes and opacity until I got the right look.

HOWEVER...I have a weird problem. After duplicating the clip in the timeline, I stacked it on top of the original. Then I go into the Color room. I have grade "Warm" and grade "Cool" saved, so I open the original and apply "Cool" then go to the duplicate and apply "Warm". What happens is any time I make a change to one clip, the other is perfectly synchronized (and I don't want it to be.) So if I apply "Warm" to the original, then apply "Cool" to the duplicate, the original also becomes "Cool". If I disable a node in one clip, it disables the same node in the other clip. And so on.

Does anyone know if this is expected behavior, or is this a bug in DaVinci 11 Beta 2? I really don't want it to operate this way, so if someone knows how to unlink the two clips so I can grade them differently I need to know the right way to do it!

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: Duplicating a clip causes their grades to be synced
on Jul 30, 2014 at 10:50:25 pm

If you look in the manual RE: remote/local grades, I believe you will find your answer.

Also, look into parallel/layer nodes and the key mixer, pretty sure you can do what you're trying to do in one node tree.

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow
http://vimeo.com/ebjohnson/colorreel

Return to posts index

Mike Jenkins
on Jul 31, 2014 at 4:30:18 pm

Great thank you! I'll read up on that now.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Jul 31, 2014 at 5:43:18 pm

Upon second reading... also look into "unmix"

eric b johnson

Return to posts index

Mike Jenkins
on Jul 31, 2014 at 9:30:04 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've been reading the manual on set all day and I think I will get the effect I'm looking for using the Parallel mixer and leaving that at its default setting. Alternatively I will try layer mixing using different composite modes.

I did a quick search for "unmix DaVinci Resolve" and I can only find references to unmixing dissolve transitions to grade both sides of the effect. Is that what you're referring to or something else?

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Jul 31, 2014 at 9:45:45 pm

That's the one. It also allows you to see what you are selecting if it's not the top visible track.

eric b johnson

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Aug 3, 2014 at 6:02:30 am
Last Edited By Marc Wielage on Aug 3, 2014 at 6:04:26 am

[Mike Jenkins] "I am trying to duplicate a clip in the timeline so I can apply two different grades and blend them. I noticed that when comparing two grades with a reference wipe, using the "Mix" function gave me exactly the look I wanted, which was different from either of the two grades. So I figured I could duplicate the clip, apply "Warm" to one clip and "Cool" to the other, then play around with blend modes and opacity until I got the right look."

I think you're trying to do something in a needlessly complicated way. I bet that the exact look you want could be achieved without mixing the two looks together, merely by starting from scratch in a single node.

Often the trick in color correction is coming up with the right look in the shortest amount of time -- not spending precious minutes working and working and working on a look by adding and subtracting corrections. I agree with Eric above that sometimes, parallel nodes can yield some unusual effects by combining simultaneous corrections. The key mixer can also be of help in some cases.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]