FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feature Request : "Log mode" ranges for HSL keyer

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat Jencks
Feature Request : "Log mode" ranges for HSL keyer
on Jul 21, 2014 at 5:05:44 am

99% of the time I grade from Log with an output LUT, doing my grading in front of the curve.

The ranges is the HSL keyer are not setup for this, so predictably when keying things like saturation in particular I end up using only the bottom 10 % of the allocated range.

While this is perfectly workable, it would be great to have the ranges be more appropriate for Log material.

The same issue effects the SAT vs SAT curves.

best
-Nat

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Feature Request : "Log mode" ranges for HSL keyer
on Jul 21, 2014 at 5:59:28 am

For this and other reasons, I prefer to drop the camera Raw LUT in first (or use it in the config as an input LUT), because this way you aren't struggling with keys and other issues. But not everybody agrees with this method.

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Jul 21, 2014 at 3:36:57 pm

[Marc Wielage] "I prefer to drop the camera Raw LUT in first (or use it in the config as an input LUT), because this way you aren't struggling with keys and other issues. But not everybody agrees with this method.
"

Yup, LUTing on input certainly solves this specific problem, but thats not the way I work. There are advantages to both ways of working but for me and many others, working underneath the curve and output color transform has many advantages.

Best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 22, 2014 at 2:00:54 am

[Nat Jencks] "Yup, LUTing on input certainly solves this specific problem, but thats not the way I work"
You could always change!

This is kind of like saying, "doctor, it hurts when I do THIS." And the answer is, "don't do that."

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Jul 22, 2014 at 2:25:37 am

[Marc Wielage] "This is kind of like saying, "doctor, it hurts when I do THIS." And the answer is, "don't do that.""

Grading in LOG (under a curve) is not exactly an obscure edge case use for color grading software. Many of the colorists I know doing features work this way. And of course grading in LOG works perfectly well in resolve, but the HSV ranges and curves ranges could use some help.

Most folks that work this way just make do with the HSL ranges being a little whacked. Adjusting the ranges to allow a "Log Mode" with more appropriate ranges isn't exactly re-architecting the software its a fairly simply change.

This is more like going to a doctor and saying "sometimes my ankle hurts when I walk up stairs in these shoes", and the doctor saying "well then don't use stairs" :)

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:53:48 am

You can easily create a node to implement the log to video conversion and use that as a key source, by piping the alpha channel from it into a color node that is fed from the original log image. That way you get both coloring flexibility and the more accurate mattes.

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Jul 24, 2014 at 10:31:46 am

It's not ideal as you have to set up and manage these other nodes, doubling your normal node count per qualification + 1 (the source with the LUT). If you have several qualifications that's a lot of nodes all of a sudden!

What would be really clever is a relative scale, using the relative min-max of HSL values that are in the source image. This relative relationship could also preserve qualifications to an extent if the key source node grade changes slightly (if you are qualifying downstream of a correction for whatever reason, maybe a pre-clip group grade changes for example!). That would be very nifty! What do you think Peter!?

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Jul 30, 2014 at 6:47:25 am

[Mike Most] "You can easily create a node to implement the log to video conversion and use that as a key source, by piping the alpha channel from it into a color node that is fed from the original log image. That way you get both coloring flexibility and the more accurate mattes.
"

Thanks Mike, this is a good tip. I'd still love a HSV keyer which could scale to log appropriate ranges, but this is a good work around in a pinch if this became a big issue for a specific problematic shot.

Thanks!
-Nat

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Jul 21, 2014 at 8:11:31 am

This would indeed be a handy feature! Although keying in log with the current HSL scale is possible, it would certainly be quicker if there was a log scale mode or if the ranges of the HSL scale could be used adjusted.

I really hope this is implemented.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jul 21, 2014 at 8:27:16 pm

Nucoda deals with this issue in a much more sophisticated matter. You can tell the system, that your session is using LOG material and all tools are rescaled accordingly. Additionally, at any point you can switch any tool to a different gamma setting. Keyer can use it's own contrast adjustment for getting better keying without affecting the actual image. And the best part, in LOG mode Nucoda actually works correctly, unlike Resolve:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]