FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looks

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Looks
on Jul 18, 2014 at 9:39:29 pm

I'm looking for some inspiration on different looks. Any suggestions on great sites with examples or tutorials? I found the following tutorial to be really cool: https://vimeo.com/65617394

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Looks
on Jul 19, 2014 at 7:46:39 am

Alexis Van Hurkman's Color Correction Look Book: Creative Grading Techniques for Film and Video has some good tips:

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Correction-Look-Book-Techniques/dp/0321988183/r...

In truth, I think a lot of looks boil down to much more than just color correction. You need the cooperation of the DP, the art department, the costume department, and the makeup department for everything to come together as a unified look.

I think you can get some inspiration by lots of successful contemporary films and commercials, and study their use of grad filters (in production or post), colored washes, desaturation, the orange/teal thing, the desaturated-cyan thing, and to reverse engineer them. In some cases, the looks are very, very complicated and require a dozen or more nodes and very specific shot-to-shot adjustments; in others, it might just be a preset from a few nodes that the colorist just pops in as required. It's interesting to note that many American TV shows are color-timed in about 2 days, so there's no way they're taking 15 minutes per shot to do very involved, complex looks -- but they do sit down and come up with maybe a dozen presets early in the season, to the extent that a producer can say, "hey, give me that cold, blue, depressed look for this scene," and the colorist takes that and works from there.

I don't believe the so-called "Look LUTs" out there on the web are the answer, but you could try some of those out and see if they get you close. In general, I think it's possible to recreate those with the essential tools we already have in Resolve. Once you have this as a Powergrade, you can use it from then on whenever a similar situation pops up.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Looks
on Jul 19, 2014 at 8:39:06 am

The Resolve presets are a good starting point to understand how to get drastic looks and when to use them and when to avoid.
I would get 10 totally different clips and apply the same preset..
You will find out it may work great on one, ok on two and not at all on the rest.
Also presets wont work on nor uniform scenes...
So the technical part if always on you before choosing any look.
The book is a great start, so are Warrens videos.

Actually TV is covered in misused presets theses days , thanks to Resolve being free and Colorista and such.
Try not to be one of them :)

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.4 - Smoke 2015
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]