FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 11 NTSC Capture

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Pickett
Resolve 11 NTSC Capture
on Jul 2, 2014 at 7:56:40 pm

Yes, that's right NTSC. I just installed beta 11 on a new Mac Pro running 10.9.3

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

I have successfully been able to view the output of a DVW-A500 via Resolve Live using UltraStudio Mini Recorder to Thunderbolt yet the capture function in the media pool creates an instant crash. About 5 times so far.

I may be the only one trying to look at a Digi Beta via Thunderbolt on the list but any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Pickett
Colorist
Spectrum Grading
http://www.davepickett.com
404-775-8519

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: Resolve 11 NTSC Capture
on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:37:08 pm

Do you get the same result if you capture using the BMD capture utility?

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow
http://vimeo.com/ebjohnson/colorreel

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 3, 2014 at 10:00:57 am

Resolve Live would not be my choice for capturing from a 15-year-old DigiBeta. I would use an editing program, capture to ProRes or MPEG50 (or something reasonable), and make sure it's getting timecode and all that stuff.

I just had to deal with a standard def project in Resolve a few weeks ago, and it was a nightmare just remembering how to set it all up. I haven't done SD in like a decade or something.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Jul 3, 2014 at 1:45:50 pm

Hi,

You should be able to capture from a NTSC deck. Could you post a log captured immediately after the crash?

What I/O card are you using?

Thanks,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 3, 2014 at 2:59:16 pm

[Dave Pickett] "via Resolve Live using UltraStudio Mini Recorder to Thunderbolt "

Which you would think would behave like "Capture Now" in Final Cut. I'd be tempted to use the Blackmagic Media Express utility if I didn't have access to every other NLE on the market.

But here's the followup question -- what are your intentions with this media? its obviously going to be 2997i 720x480/486 natively. Are you going to have to try to integrate it into an HD timeline or is the whole project NTSC end-to-end? There might be better approaches to capturing the media in a more useable way.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Dave Pickett
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:19:58 pm

Rohit, I will post a crash report upon the next attempt should it happen. It has been instantaneous every time thus far and I ceased trying.

Joseph, my final intention for the footage was to encode some spots to provide a client some specific examples even if SD and rather dated. I had luck in about 2010 using Resolve to capture reference picture from DigiBeta and figured it would behave somewhat similarly but it did not, at least in this case.

Keep in mind I was also knee deep in 10.9.3 Mavericks quicksand during my initial post. 10.9.4 and Resolve 11 seem to be a lot happier but I haven't had the desire to fire up the deck and press my luck.

Thank you gentlemen for your suggestions. One of the things I miss about the post industry of yesteryear is the group atmosphere to go through these aggravations with. That and the Everest sized piles of film to work on.

Dave Pickett
Colorist
Spectrum Grading
http://www.davepickett.com
404-775-8519

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]