FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 11 Displaying Wrong Powergrade and Not Showing R3D Files

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Keller
Resolve 11 Displaying Wrong Powergrade and Not Showing R3D Files
on Jul 1, 2014 at 1:31:06 am

I recently had a colorist help out on edit and he did all the grading on his laptop. When it came time to transfer everything to my hard drive I created a DISK database on it and exported his project file to that drive along with a batch of all the Powergrades from the project. When I attempt to import the project into Resolve 11 on my computer, the R3D files do not display and I only see black until I delete and then re-add them all to the media pool. Also, the Powergrade thumbnail displaying in my stills area does not reflect the same color of the grades in my Resolve monitor. Yes, the colorist's monitor was calibrated so there may be slight differences in contrast, however, a Powergrade that displays with a blue colorcast is applying to a clip as a red colorcast. That's pretty extreme and I'm a little stumped as to why it's happening. We have the same Camera Raw settings as far as RED metadata goes too. Any help would be appreciated as I also experienced the black clips issue in Resolve 10. Thank you!

Best,
Jake

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Resolve 11 Displaying Wrong Powergrade and Not Showing R3D Files
on Jul 1, 2014 at 6:34:27 am

Hi Jake, a number of items here so let see if we can separate them - based on the description....

PowerGrades are user based so I guess you logged on as the same user. Alternatively, when the first pass was complete, in a new still folder, add still from all clips. This is a viewer Right click option.

When you move projects, via project or database, between systems if the clip path has changed you should to use the 'Change Source Folder' feature in the media pool to relink to the new location rather than delete and replace the clips. This should fixed you black clip and thumbnail issue.

Also, If the Camera raw settings were saved with version, its a checkbox in Camera Raw, then the adjustments made there will be retained when you replace clips. If adjustments were made in Raw and not saved this may account for the incorrect color match to the stills.

If my supposition is correct, open the original project, and try 'Change source folder' and if that does not work, open the project again and set the camera raw 'save with versions', save the project then open it again and relink the clips.

Return to posts index

Jake Keller
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:42:51 am

Peter,

Thank you so much for your assistance in this and I am beginning to see the error in my process.

1. After creating the new DISK database on an external hard drive, I exported the project from the Local Database (the laptop) to this newly created DISK database on the external drive.

2. Opening Resolve through a Local Database on a desktop and importing the project that was created on the laptop and then exported to the DISK database on the external.

3. Importing the stills I exported from the Local Database (on the laptop) to the external hard drive, into the database on the desktop I'm now using.

Something is definitely getting lost in translation and I will be trouble shooting the Source Folder option in the morning. The Powergrades from the colorist's laptop were created under the "admin" user.

How do I go about opening the DISK database/original project I created/exported onto the external hard drive without creating a new database? After I am able to do this I can try changing the source folder. Thanks for your patience and once again I appreciate your support!

Jake

Return to posts index

Jake Keller
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:28:47 pm

Hey Peter, I think we discovered the issue to our problem. They ended up coloring all of the RED footage under the ARRI Alexa settings for Camera Raw. Not sure how it got locked to the Alexa profile as it was R3D files reconnected from the XML import, but that's what happened. I'm unable to reproduce the issue as every R3D I throw at Resolve sets the Camera Raw on the Color Page to RED. If there is a way to manually switch it to Alexa on the Color page all the grades will render out correctly, otherwise, what's the best way of applying the Alexa colorspace to all my clips? Is there a way to apply a LUT to my rendered clips? Obviously this is not ideal and things were don't incorrectly, but switching my entire Resolve project into the Alexa format is my best bet I think. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 2, 2014 at 6:57:36 am

[Jake Keller] "Hey Peter, I think we discovered the issue to our problem. They ended up coloring all of the RED footage under the ARRI Alexa settings for Camera Raw."
Stop what you're doing and redo the project from scratch. Chances are, it'll be possible to create a new 1st node that will put the rest of the images in the right place.

It's for reasons like this that it's very, very, VERY important to get everything right the moment the project is started. And it never hurts to check a few times as the hours and days go on.

Red and Alexa have vastly different color science, and it's not a good thing to mix them.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: solve 11 Displaying Wrong Powergrade and Not Showing R3D Files
on Jul 2, 2014 at 11:01:40 am

I doubt they could be changing Alexa settings while decoding red raw, but in any case it's a good learning experience in project management.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 2, 2014 at 3:45:37 pm

[Peter Chamberlain] "I doubt they could be changing Alexa settings while decoding red raw"

They could be interpreting the Project Settings... Camera RAW... default being ARRI Alexa as the option that was chosen, but I personally don't think this is how that dialog works.

I also doubt that there would be any change in behaviour even if the "Red" option is opened in that dialog. Among all the metadata hierarchies in that subgroup, assigning ARRI color science just isn't available. I thought that that particular configuration really just told the rest of the application how to deal with different RAW formats IF that format were presented to it in the Media Browser, and consequently how to present it to the Edit page for inclusion on a COLOR timeline.

My bet is that the original colorist either adjusted the RAW settings on a per clip basis and those settings haven't made it into the project export correctly (did not check "Save with Version", or used a "project settings" default, maybe even a proxy that infers an Alexa profile since that is also the default RAW decode that is displayed on the COLOR page, but isn't actually applied. When I import R3D clips onto an otherwise default timeline, the Master RAW settings automatically select RED, at least on my system. It would take some very deliberate reassignment to mix the camera deBayer strategies.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jake Keller
on Jul 3, 2014 at 6:31:05 pm

Sorry to put you all through this slog of a problem. After much interference and mystery as to why this was all happening, I slowly discovered that the colorist (having used Resolve only this once) never reconnected to the R3D files per my instructions and had colored my pre-graded proxies. Very frustrating indeed. All of your replies were a great insight on project management as stated by Peter so I thank you all once again for the support and concern.

Best,
Jake

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]