FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro... 32GB RAM vs 64GB

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat Jencks
New Mac Pro... 32GB RAM vs 64GB
on Jun 28, 2014 at 8:11:07 pm

Thumbing through the config guide for resolve 11 I'm seeing that the high end Mac config specs basically the flagship nMP but with 32GB ram vs 64GB.

You might say, if your spending ~$10K on the machine why pinch pennies on the RAM, whats $800 if your spending $10K?

But $800 is $800... Is 64GB overkill for resolve?

I do use Sapphire, Neat NR, FilmConvert (for grain), Beauty Box, OFX plugins.

80% of my work is in Resolve, but I also occasionally work in Nuke.

Thoughts?
-Nat

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
Re: New Mac Pro... 32GB RAM vs 64GB
on Jun 28, 2014 at 9:04:16 pm

I went with 64GB for mine and there have been a few times when it really did come in handy. When working on large projects in Motion, AE, Smoke or FCP X I regularly see the available RAM drop down to below 32GB, especially once I'm in the finishing stages and using a lot of FilmConvert and Neat Video stacked with BCC etc. I tend to finish in FCPX so they'd be the FxPlug versions, not OFX. So far as Resolve goes, I don't think the application's ever used close to 32GB of RAM, even with 10-20 active nodes. I don't have access to Nuke on this machine, but if Motion and AE are any sort of precedent, that's where you're going to want the 64GB.

FCP X Certified Pro, Level Two

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
Re: New Mac Pro... 32GB RAM vs 64GB
on Jun 28, 2014 at 9:16:36 pm

Traditionally RAM usage for Nuke has been as much as you can throw at it, since it uses RAM for caching on playback.

However, with the boot drive now offering very fast read write times (~1000MBps) disk caching is a viable option and can actually provide decent performance.

Using the internal boot drive for disc caching is sort of a poor mans FusionIO card.

Thanks for the feedback re Motion AE and FCPX. I don't use those, but I don't doubt that if I have Nuke and Resolve open at the same time as well as some OFX plugins grabbing their own share of RAM, that 32GB might get used up.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Thanks again.
-Nat

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]