FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premature Scene Detect

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Akada
Premature Scene Detect
on Jun 25, 2014 at 8:53:24 pm

I was just using scene detect in DaVinci Resolve. The clip was rendered out of After Effects and it is about 18 minutes in length.

Overall, the process worked without a hitch and I was able to scrub through the footage and make the adjustments and remove false cuts accordingly.

That said, I discovered - upon closer inspection - that there were a number of sequences where roto strokes must have overlapped and "spilled" into the following scenes (each by about one or two frames).

I suppose when the clips are played back at normal speed this seems like a non-issue but as a perfectionist I'm tempted to go back and fix the roto spill in AE.

My question is this: can the scene detect information that I saved with this first draft be applied to an updated 2nd draft of the same footage once I've made the changes and exported them from AE? Will the scene detect info work off of the source clip info or are these cosmetic changes enough to disrupt said information from re-linking during import to DaVinci?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Premature Scene Detect
on Jun 26, 2014 at 5:36:41 am

It used to be that you could export and import edit that scene cut made.

Refer to the current manual you have for v10 or v11.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box
Full Ligthspace CMS

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jun 26, 2014 at 7:50:27 am

In addition to that , and maybe a little off topic but I could some improvements on the the whole scene detection process :

1. Minimum length slider
Very handy when dealing with interviews (flashlights) or VFX.
2. Probing of multiple areas
To avoid cuts during obstructions (logos)
3. Re-detect on the timeline
The same functions, but inside a clip on the timeline
4. Auto-assign tape ID to .edl on export
Right now is uses 001 and we need to rename the source ID to use the .edl
5. Auto-create timeline from cut using only one file
Bringing in cuts separately locks them to their in and out points (no transition possible)

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.4 - Smoke 2015
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 26, 2014 at 3:46:49 pm

[Sascha Haber] "Bringing in cuts separately locks them to their in and out points (no transition possible)"

Using scene-detect is very rare for my usual workflow, but recently worked through a 117-minute feature that I had to accept as three baked "Acts", for various reasons. Scene-detect sort of worked in 80% of all cases, suffered from the same ambiguities that it has had since (small-d) daVinci introduced it. It is a bit annoying that clips cannot be "joined" after the import process, for the few cuts that might have been missed or made that elude the first pass. By Act 2, I had learned to ignore the existing dissolves, add a cut in the Edit page and overlay a crossfade at that stage. Works a little easier than trying to keyframe a color transition on the COLOR page that may or may not have conflicting parameters which makes the correction hard to track linearly.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Nedeem Al-Astrabadi
on Jun 27, 2014 at 11:00:29 am

A little tip to be able to "join" the clips - rather than importing the cuts straight in to the Media pool from the Scene Detect page, save the edl you've just created and exit. Use the "Split and to Media Pool" option on your footage and choose your saved edl, and now you can join and split clips as you grade.

http://www.nedeem.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Akada
on Jun 27, 2014 at 3:04:24 am

I see what you're saying. But judging by the responses I'm not sure if I was clear enough in my explanation.

What I meant was that I used scene detect and exported the data as a save-file.

I then would like to go back into After Effects (which is the program I'd exported the original draft from) fix up a few things - then re-import the fixed footage into Resolve. At that point I wanted to apply the old scene detect info to that same clip.

I'm not sure if this is possible or not - even if I used the same specs/codecs when rendering in AE - but I thought I should just ask around first.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 27, 2014 at 9:39:32 am

[Andrew Akada] "I then would like to go back into After Effects (which is the program I'd exported the original draft from) fix up a few things - then re-import the fixed footage into Resolve. At that point I wanted to apply the old scene detect info to that same clip. "
I think your workflow is flawed. You should only be going into Resolve at the very end, not going back and forth between Resolve and AfterEffects. I can totally see swapping out a handful of shots, because that always happens.

It drives me crazy when stuff isn't locked when it should be. This is an enormous problem in the post business that continues to get worse. One of the rare places where it's sorta/kinda under control is in TV, where rapid schedules due to airdates preclude anybody making too many fixes. I'm reminded of the quote attributed to the French poet Rimbaud: "Poems are never finished... they're abandoned." Films are like that. You work and work and work and work... and then you gotta stop because the show's gotta ship.

Finding the discipline to know when to stop, what to fix, and what to let go is a whole long conversation.

Return to posts index

Andrew Akada
on Jun 27, 2014 at 8:52:27 pm

I appreciate the words of wisdom. I'm still very much in a greenhorn when it comes to the post-production side of things. I've essentially been trying to teach myself various applications by way of crash-course, trial/error and Creative Cow.

That said, totally understand what you mean. This project has been taking quite a while to finish and I suppose I was just getting impatient when I exported the initial draft.

I guess the easiest solution now would probably be to just make the cuts, import and swap the segments out in the media pool once they're polished. That way I can keep pushing forward on this grade.

The learning curve has been steep but thankfully I haven't made any "kiss of death" mistakes as of yet. Thanks again, guys! I'm always really impressed with the level of professional and straightforward conduct here! :-)

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 30, 2014 at 3:58:46 am

Remember you can always tread lightly with Auto Scene Detect, and just add any missed cuts manually with command-shift-J while in the color timeline. I do that on occasion when I realize there's no cut there within a sequence, and it's not the end of the world -- as long as you catch it. I'd rather have too few cuts than too many cuts, because I can always add more cuts later.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]