FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC Color support? Mine sucks.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Fowler
MC Color support? Mine sucks.
on Jun 23, 2014 at 11:37:39 pm

Is there any way to get support for my MC color?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't show up.
I've searched, I've re-read the instructions, I've uninstalled and reinstalled.
I've even bought a brand new MacPro and expected it to work.
It still only works 2-10 times. And even then, I don't know what I did to make it work. Sometimes I didn't do anything. I just restarted Resolve.

I don't feel like I should PAY for support, but if it will fix it I will.

Steadicam Op / DP :: http://www.fowlerfilms.com

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: MC Color support? Mine sucks.
on Jun 24, 2014 at 5:04:17 am

It can work, but there are some tricks to it. Make sure you're running v3.1.2 of the Avid Eucontrol app. Double-check all the settings in the app via command-1 (on Mac OSX). In some cases, I've had to reboot once or twice to make sure the app comes up and recognizes the MC Color panel via ethernet, and it's set up to receive network connections. Once the MC Color panel appears in the Eucon app, make sure the proper Layout is loaded, which drops in all the keys and functions for the knobs on the panel. And make sure Resolve's config is set to MC Color in the config.

I agree, the connection is very flakey, but I blame Avid for going with Ethernet rather than USB. Once the proper handshake occurs, the panel will keep running for days and days, provided you don't quit Resolve or sleep the computer. Once that happens, the Ethernet connection is broken and you'll most likely have to jump through hoops again. It's an annoyance but not a deal-breaker for me.

BTW, if you call Avid Support, there are helpful people there provided you find the 2 or 3 people in the entire organization who have a) heard of MC Color, and b) know the issues with Resolve. I solved my own problems before I could reach them, but Avid has their own issues as an organization.

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Jun 24, 2014 at 11:46:00 am

what configuration you are using?

Return to posts index

Bryan Fowler
on Jun 24, 2014 at 11:47:13 am

By, 'configuration' do you mean computer, specs, ram, gfx card, etc?

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Jun 24, 2014 at 11:48:44 am

OS and computer

Ronen Pestes
Film Editor
http://www.ronenpestes.com

Return to posts index

Bryan Fowler
on Jun 24, 2014 at 12:01:17 pm

Mac Pro 6,1
16GB ram
3.5 GHz 6-core
Something D500 GFX cards
OS 10.9.3

Resolve 10.1.5.lite.013
Eucon 3.1.2
Cat6 cable connected directly to port 1 on mac pro.

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Jun 24, 2014 at 12:29:45 pm

there are issues with New Mac and resolve,
it is combination of OS and eucon probably, 10.9.1 was working fine if you can go back. after 10.9.2 you will have issues with pages not updating in real time.

Return to posts index

Bryan Fowler
on Jun 24, 2014 at 12:33:48 pm

How about the Tangent Element TK Panel?
Anyone have experience with that? If it works smoothly, then I have an MC Color and MC Transport for sale.

Return to posts index

Bryan Fowler
on Jun 24, 2014 at 11:46:27 am

Thanks for the reply Marc,

It's good to know that I'm not the only one going through the same issues.
You've actually provided more support than Avid's support team, or their wonky forums.

If you were local I'd buy you a coffee.

Speaking of coffee, I'm about to make mine, and go see if I can tempt this beast into working for the day. =)

BTW, do you happen to remember WHO you talked to at AVID about the MC Color. It'd be nice to talk to them directly.

Return to posts index

Bryan Fowler
on Jun 24, 2014 at 12:04:39 pm

It also sucks that once I DO get it working, every time I push "page" on the console I have to hit a key on my keyboard for the page on the console to accept the command.

*deep breath*

Ok...That's all for now. =)

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 26, 2014 at 4:36:08 am

The key is to get EUControl running first, make sure it recognizes the MC Color panel, then launch Resolve, make sure it's accepting network connections, and while Resolve is booting up you should see the menu displays loading on the MC Color panel. (In truth, even the daVinci panels do the same thing: you get a screen saver until Resolve is actually running.)

None of this stuff is 100% reliable. I've had the daVinci panels go stupid on me many times, even back in the olden days. You just have to figure out a troubleshooting scheme to get everything back up and running.

I think a lot of users are going to change their working philosophy now that we have user-assignable keyboard shortcuts for certain functions. While you can do 95% of the job on the daVinci panels, my experience is that any other 3rd party panel -- Tangent, Avid, whatever -- is a compromise, and you still wind up using the mouse and keyboard for certain things. It slows you down, but it's not a deal killer at this price point.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Jun 26, 2014 at 6:23:04 am

Of course all 3 rd party panels are a compromise!

When i work on Elements i feel all the time that there is more speed
available with ui but it is possible on big BM panel.
The fact that half the key shortcuts does not work (probably my os or keyboard issue that has to bee solved)
does not help either.

The main reason is the speed you get even if you do not go to the linux way.
BM panel gives you the option to work faster.

I somewhat feel that speed difference and direct access of functions are not
talked enough so people would understand why you would want to get one.
So this is just not linux but the direct access to functions at your fingertips
what makes you work faster. I'm considering really strongly getting one.

Have also worked on MC and it felt kind of un usable to me with long delay in responses and frequent
disconnected problems.

Would go with elements for now despite MC as if any hiccups then simple machine boot
would get rid of them.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box
Full Ligthspace CMS

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 27, 2014 at 9:41:17 am

No, honestly no issues here with disconnects on MC Color. This is under OSX 10.9.3, Resolve 10.1.5, and Eucon 3.1.2 (thanks again, Jake!).

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Jun 27, 2014 at 3:52:01 pm

Bryan, you can try to set static IP
on your network page in mac
IP Address 10.0.0.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0

in MC Color

@ Marc, which mac are you using, I was on a new Mac Pro and connection with 10.9.2 was very bad, on Old tower with 10.8.5 it is very stable.

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
on Jun 29, 2014 at 2:44:55 pm

The elements are great Panels but the bottom line is that mapping on resolve is down right terrible. If you see what can be done with element mapping there is no reason to touch the mouse during grading (see nucoda). When Jake and I got a chance to try it out it was night and day. I never realized that my panels could be so efficient and a joy to work with. My point is it can be done in resolve too. BMD just needs to take the time to map lay the hooks to the functions and implement the tangent hub controller. Then you would fly and the elements would be the top choice.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jun 29, 2014 at 2:50:46 pm

How did this topic ended up here? MC Color isn't supported by Nucoda any longer...

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
on Jun 29, 2014 at 2:55:24 pm

I'm not referring to nucoda and mc color support but rather their implementation of elements as opposed to resolves implementation.

Return to posts index

Bryan Fowler
on Jun 29, 2014 at 7:44:53 pm

Thanks Harris and all the others above.
At least I know I'm not alone. But my frustration is that we even have to accept that this is how it is. That WE have to find the workaround right out of the box.

I've managed to do a bit of what each of you have suggested, and now I can use it for a few hours at at time. Then Resolve crashes, and I have to restart EUCON in system prefs.

I still can't get the page buttons to work, so I just use the balls and wheels. It's still a help, but it's a pain in the ass.

I expect my brand new car (or iPad, or camera or trash disposal) to do what it is supposed to without hassle. And if I AM having problems with is, I expect some knowledgable people to be eager to help me solve the problem. I haven't found this with AVID. I can't even get their support page to accept my login 1/2 the time. (maybe that's another issue, but still applies more salt to the wound) And when it does it doesn't offer any other solution.

I don't want to think that I have to spend 30K to have something work right.

Just take Resolve for example. We are playing with Beta 11, when Resolve 10 still won't export correctly to FCPX, OR work right on a properly specced out new MacPro.

Exporting and EXL to a NLE. THAT'S what should work. I want THAT process to be like butter before I even care about my grading software being able to edit. (oh, the penny just dropped. They won't fix XML Export because then we'll just edit right in Resolve! =) ...kidding... kinda)

*sigh* At any rate, I'm glad to even have buggy software and hardware, but I'd REALLY be glad to have non-buggy software and hardware.

Sincerely thanks to all who have offered support.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 30, 2014 at 4:01:13 am

[Harris Charalambous] "The elements are great Panels but the bottom line is that mapping on resolve is down right terrible. If you see what can be done with element mapping there is no reason to touch the mouse during grading (see nucoda)."
And how much does Nucoda Film Master cost in relation to daVinci Resolve? Mmmm-hmmm...

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
on Jul 1, 2014 at 4:09:58 am

And how many copies, even at 1k a piece has BMD sold compared to Digital Vision? Mmmmmm

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jul 5, 2014 at 5:51:18 pm

>>And how much does Nucoda Film Master cost in relation to daVinci Resolve?

It now costs $2700 as opposed to $1000 for Resolve. Not very different, actually.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:15:18 am

Actually the 2700 application isn't full film master, but more of a dailies tool. The full film master is somewhat more.

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:27:38 am

Lets get this thread back to the issue Bryan asked about..
Eucontrol doesn't work as needed with resolve with some configuration.
It will be nice to have Black Magic and Avid communicate with each other about this and release a working driver that support all latest OS (10.8.5 , 10.9.2-4) and resolve version 10 & 11 on Mac Pro from 3.1 to 6.1
(I also want to win the lottery)
Since BM released DaVinci resolve as a free version, it doesn't really matter how low or better another product is. The reality in the market is that production companies not spending the money on the full version and with TB connections not even on the high end Decklink devices.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 12, 2014 at 11:25:34 am

[Ronen Pestes] "It will be nice to have Black Magic and Avid communicate with each other about this and release a working driver that support all latest OS (10.8.5 , 10.9.2-4) and resolve version 10 & 11 on Mac Pro from 3.1 to 6.1"
I can tell you that Eucontrol 3.1.2 and Resolve 10 will work under OSX 10.9.2. Beyond that, it's a crapshoot.

One key, BTW: watch out for the Mac Firewall settings under System Prefs -> Security & Privacy. You have to be very careful that both MC Color and Resolve can get through the firewall to talk to each other. The panel has to be up and Eucon has to be running, then you have to make sure Eucon is talking to both the panel and can find the Mac before you launch Resolve. You can "lock" MC Color to Resolve once everything is set, and it'll stay there even if you momentarily switch to another application.

I personally think a lot of the MC Color bugginess lies with Avid's reliance on Ethernet, but that's me. I previously had trouble with Avid/Digidesign Pro Tools and ethernet connections for various audio controllers, so this kind of thing has been flakey before. It's very telling to me that the Tangent Wave, Tangent Elements, and BMD daVinci panels all use USB, which I think is a simpler, more reliable connection.

Once MC Color is up, it'll stay going for days and days. But don't sleep the computer. I think that goes for any mission-critical application anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]