Crashes and issues with Avid media

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Herrick
Crashes and issues with Avid media
on Jun 19, 2014 at 2:13:36 am

Hi Guys.

3 current issues with Davinci 10.

I'm using DNX HD media from avid 7.0.4 on a 2013 mac pro on 10.9.2 with Resolve 10.1.5.013

1) Is anyone else getting a lot of crashing in Resolve when flicking between shots with the arrow keys. Neither of the shots have anything other that basic corrections applied. It seems like rapid switching between shots is overloading a buffer and the application just drops out.

2)Avid AAFs seems to be including time code with 24th hour timecode (i.e. 24:00:00:00) time code. When the media is at 00:00:00:00 and will not auto conform. I assume this is because of a midnight roll over. Can we please get a little subroutine to handle this occurrence. The show I'm working on shoots time of day and often until past midnight.

3) Tracking seems to get stuck. I will track a power window and it will track a frame or two then stop. If I play through the shot a few times it sometimes comes good. Othertimes I have to fine the clip on the master timeline for it work and sometimes it have to track manually as it won't work. This was perfect in Davinci v9.

Any suggestions gladly taken.

Marcus Herrick
Freelance Editor / Grader

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Crashes and issues with Avid media
on Jun 19, 2014 at 7:23:06 am

[Marcus Herrick] "The show I'm working on shoots time of day and often until past midnight."
Tell them Don't Do That. If they know at the start of the shoot they're going to go past midnight, then start the timecode 12 hours earlier -- in other words, call 1PM "01:00:00:00," 6PM "6:00:00:00," and then when they reach midnight, it'll simply be "12:00:00:00." No excuse for crossing midnight. Tell them not to use military time.

Which specific kind of Avid DNxHD media are you using? 220? 145? All of it can work, and I haven't encountered this kind of crashing before (though I have in other rare situations). How are the drives in terms of speed, and how much RAM do you have? There are a lot of variables here that could cause crashes in some situations; I suspect the BMD people will want to see a crash log.

Return to posts index

Marcus Herrick
on Jun 19, 2014 at 7:35:34 am

Thanks for your response.

I'm using DNXHD120 at 25i. I have 64GB or memory and the Mac Pro has twin firePro D700's. the Drives are Areca 8050T2 Thunderbolt2 raid, with 8 x 4TB drives, which give around 950MB/s read and write according to the Blackmagic speed test App. So I doubt the issue is long seek time for the drives or lack of RAM on the computer.

The show records over periods of up to 36 hours, so swapping timecode by 12 hours, though a good idea, won't work in this case. The issue is something that AAF parsing code should catch. Camera crews are not always the best listeners.

Can anyone guide me to the location of the crash logs and who's email to send them to?

cheers & thanks,

Marcus

Marcus Herrick

Return to posts index

Mark Longchamps
on Jun 19, 2014 at 9:28:52 pm

Are you using an ISIS or is all the media on the drives? Also we have noticed that Resolve does not like 2997 video. Our whole show is shot on it and I play off an ISIS but sometimes the resolve seems to get stuck and can't play clips. This will also happen from any one of our 6 fibre Sans. 23.976 never has this issue. I noticed your show is 25I so maybe the issue is the same as we have - Resolve just does not like interlaced video. Is every single shot the same frame rate?

Return to posts index

Marcus Herrick
on Jun 19, 2014 at 11:25:47 pm

All media is on local drives. Thankfully I have a fantastic assistant so everything is the same codec and frame rate before it gets to Resolve. Previous shows using v9 were rock solid, so I'm at a bot of a loss.

Marcus Herrick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]