FORUMS: list search recent posts

Local Database vs Shared Database

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Chatametikool
Local Database vs Shared Database
on Jun 16, 2014 at 6:48:26 am

I have a database question I was hoping to get some advice on. I just installed 2x GTX Titan Blacks in Cubix to get better playback response with Red Epic 5K files. The system is a 12-core Macpro with 48GB ram.

Using a local database, I can get realtime 24fps playback of the 5k Epic files. But the moment I revert to a shared database, the playback speed drops to 18-19 fps.

We have 3 resolve mac systems in a shared environment, so ideally I'd prefer to use the shared database. It's not an effect of database size either. Even with a new shared database, with a new project with just a few clips in the media pool, the playback still drops to 18-19fps.

Is this playback speed drop-off normal for a local vs shared database?

The shared database server is G5 MacPro with 8GB of RAM, running 10.5.8, with the database stored on an external eSATA drive.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Local Database vs Shared Database
on Jun 16, 2014 at 3:30:24 pm

I've not noticed a performance difference between shared/local databases. Are you sure the shared project and local project have the same debayer settings? Maybe try turning of ui updates on the shared project, see if that makes a difference.

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Lee Chatametikool
on Jun 16, 2014 at 6:14:16 pm

Hi Juan,

Yep, both are debayer at half res good. I installed the Titan blacks over the weekend and tested playback with a local DISK database. I got 24fps playback. Then my colorist came in Monday to test some more and asked me how I got real time playback because he was maxing out at 19fps. We tested the same project in both local DISK and shared over the network and playback was always real time on the local side, in both DISK and Postgres formats. This is without any color nodes added to either.

For now, we've imported this project to a local database but would still like to find an answer for this. We are also going to try dan Moran's method for sharing local projects as a workaround for this.

I'll also have my colorist try to turn off the UI to see if it helps at all.

Out of curiosity, is this something you might be able to replicate at your place?

Return to posts index

Mark Longchamps
on Jun 19, 2014 at 3:38:12 pm

We use a shared data base and we do not have any playback issues, but we are not doing 5k. However, we do a lot of reality TV shows and a 45 minute show with 1600 cuts seems to take a looonnnngggg time to save around 45-60 seconds. Our shared database is on a MacMini on a gige network and the mac mini can only write so fast. Can you put your shared database on a network SAN or a SSD? That may help. Or not.

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Jun 24, 2014 at 11:08:35 am

You should not be seeing any performance differences between shared databases and local database other than when loading and saving projects. There's no traffic between Resolve and the database when playing back media.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]