FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any headway on 10.9.3 and late 2013 Mac Pros?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Pickett
Any headway on 10.9.3 and late 2013 Mac Pros?
on Jun 12, 2014 at 1:25:06 pm

I know 11 is just around the corner but 10.9.3 has melted my Mac Pro's face. Not only does it hang in Resolve but it also fully affects the Mac in other areas, including their own apps and the ability to restart or force quit.

I am heading back to 10.9.2 but am very hopeful that there is some progress soon. I'm in horse latitudes which doesn't exactly pay the rent.

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

Dave Pickett
Colorist
Spectrum Grading
http://www.davepickett.com
404-775-8519

Return to posts index

Jan Pfitzner
Re: Any headway on 10.9.3 and late 2013 Mac Pros?
on Jun 12, 2014 at 1:40:48 pm

Apple released the second beta of 10.9.4, build 13E16. Some people report that the problems with Adobe products and Resolve have gone away with this build, so keep your fingers crossed.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 14, 2014 at 4:04:10 am

I think this is an Apple problem more than a Blackmagic problem. I would wait and live with 10.9.2 and then see what happens.

It's been very, very common in the Avid/Digidesign world for people to be stuck on lower-release operating systems because of issues with current software. It rarely hurts to use a 6-month old OS unless you know for a fact that every program you use is compatible with the new OS. Is there some feature in 10.9.3 that is a deal killer?

Return to posts index

Dave Pickett
on Jun 14, 2014 at 12:35:36 pm

I agree Marc that early adoption of OS updates is perilous. This was an auto update that I neglected to disable upon receiving the cylinder a few months ago. Mind those settings!
Hard to say exactly what is going on but 10.9.3 has caused similar problems for other pro users and the chatter is that it's code relating to Open CL.
In practical terms, your session will grind to a halt a few scenes in. Then Resolve will not quit properly and then force quit ceases to function (as well as most other apps) and you end up hard booting. The next hurdle is renders that hang indefinitely. One workaround for renders that has kept me trudging has been to open a new session, import the media and use Color Trace. That process somehow unlocks the render demon.
Apple suggested migrating back to 10.9.2 which is my plan. There is also the 10.9.4 public beta gambit followed shortly by Resolve 11 itself.

Dave Pickett
Colorist
Spectrum Grading
http://www.davepickett.com
404-775-8519

Return to posts index

Jan Pfitzner
on Jun 14, 2014 at 4:49:35 pm

Since 10.9.3 and 10.9.4 don't have any "killer" improvements atleast to my workflow, I will stick with 10.9.2 as long as possible.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 15, 2014 at 4:01:31 am

[Dave Pickett] "I agree Marc that early adoption of OS updates is perilous. This was an auto update that I neglected to disable upon receiving the cylinder a few months ago."
As careful as I fool myself into thinking I am, the exact same thing happened to me! Luckily, I did have a system backup and was able to painstakingly revert back to 10.9.2. Still took me about 9-10 hours of screaming, yelling, and cursing, plus turning over furniture, screaming at the moon, stuff like that.

The villain is System Prefs -> App Store -> Automatically check for updates / Download newly available updates / install app updates / install system data files and security updates. Very dangerous.

I'm expecting that Resolve 11 will work with 10.9.3 off the bat, but I'll be carefully reading the Recommended Configuration file first.

Return to posts index

Jan Pfitzner
on Jun 16, 2014 at 9:10:27 pm

Maybe 10.9.4 will hit the AppStore in the same timeframe of Resolve and Premiere Pro - but since my Mac Pro runs pretty well on 10.9.2 as of now, considering updating has no sense at the moment imo.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]