FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC 6.5 to Resolve 10 Roundtrip / Conform - HUGE PROBLEMS :(

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Wright
Avid MC 6.5 to Resolve 10 Roundtrip / Conform - HUGE PROBLEMS :(
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:51:38 pm

Hey Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well this morning or evening (depending on your location)

I have an issue and I'd like to see what everyone's opinions are on this, Currently we are getting ready to lock picture and wrap up a feature, we are editing on Avid MC 6.5 with an Avid Unity system for storage.

The entire film was shot on an Arri Alexa, MultiCam shots were used in the editing of the film, up to 2 cameras were synced at any given time to cut between shots.

I cannot seem to find a way that works here - I've tried round tripping from Avid to resolve, keep in mind i have the full resolve suite and also have resolve lite running on my laptop for testing purposes.

I've attempted to export an AAF file and import into Resolve, initially i received 2 errors, the first one was that "Nested Edits are not supported in this release" second was that the footage would not link up because time code did not match up to anything in the media pool.

Could anyone please help me and tell me if i need specific settings before i export out of avid an aaf file or edl file and what settings i might need to select if i am trying to conform from the aaf or edl to the original media in resolve ?

it seems simple enough but it has given me enough grief now that i just plain need help with this and I'm giving up my pride and asking for everyone's assistance here...

Thank You !

- Michael

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
Re: Avid MC 6.5 to Resolve 10 Roundtrip / Conform - HUGE PROBLEMS :(
on Jun 11, 2014 at 6:36:30 pm

in avid:

right click on the sequence, 'commit multicam edits', export AAF, success!

Return to posts index

Michael Wright
on Jun 11, 2014 at 6:44:29 pm

i have done this, i still get the cannot link clip because extent do not match timecode etc.

:( any other ideas ?

Return to posts index

John Sellars
on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:38:35 am
Last Edited By John Sellars on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:52:43 am

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/17103#29372

Also, I found that adding the raw files to the media pool before bringing in the AAF was more reliable. Use the EDL from Avid to do this. The only box checked in the Load AAF dialog box should be use sizing information.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 12, 2014 at 2:34:23 am

How many video tracks are in the edit timeline? I get very crabby if anybody tries to give me more than two. I'm a big fan of having the editor flatten as many timelines as possible and keep things very, very simple when going into Resolve, just in the interest of simplicity and saving time. I prefer all speed changes to be exported as a single contiguous 23.98 file, everything textless, A/B roll dissolves on separate tracks, no composites, very straightforward. If you need composites, give them to the colorist as separate elements to be graded separately (though you can do temporary composites just to check color).

Return to posts index

Michael Wright
on Jun 12, 2014 at 10:16:34 pm

Well, there are numerous tracks - i am trying to figure out how to flatten everything down, any advice ?

ive heard i need to "commit multi cam edits" but after that i dont know what i need to do next...

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Jun 13, 2014 at 4:52:44 pm

I'd start by removing all elements that are not visible in the Record monitor when the upper most track is set to be visible.

Anything left over should be brought down as close to V1 as possible.

This Doc is geared towards an FCP prep for Resolve, but the general idea of the "Cleaning the Timeline" section applies to all NLE's

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow
http://vimeo.com/ebjohnson/colorreel

Return to posts index

Mark Longchamps
on Jun 19, 2014 at 3:53:50 pm
Last Edited By Mark Longchamps on Jun 19, 2014 at 3:59:02 pm

We do this all the time and it works well - but it took us a month of testing to get it right. Here is what we found. If you have a videomix down in the avid, the Resolve will read it and you can grade it. HOWEVER if you send an AAF back to avid with this mixdown the Avid will not read the AAF. Ever. EVER. Our guys render the mixdown, export it and reimport it back into the Avid as a new piece of media. Also I read that if you do ANY editing in the Resolve and I mean a one frame trim and then export an AAF, the AAF becomes corrupt and will not work back in Avid. I do not know if this is true or not, but when I need an edit done, the Avid guys give me a new AAF. Also, you want to EXPORT AAF from Resolve. DO NOT USE Generate New AAF. This leads to all kinds of heartbreaks. Here is how we work. In Resolve iu import AAF, click the Use Sizing Information button. This way all the avid speedups and blow ups are recreated in Resolve. When I render it out, I turn all the Resolve effects off and render full frame, 100% speed clips and export an AAF and have Avid rebuild everything. Here is how we handle nested effects. The editor keeps the nest in the timeline but copies all the media in the nest to the end of the sequence in a stack. I then grade each clip at the end of the sequence and the Avid editor copies and pastes the graded material into the nest. I suspect you have some video mixdowns in the timeline somewhere which is killing you. When we do this round trip, we try to "keep it real" in the Avid and strip off as many effects and collapse as many layers as we can. I do not relink back to r3d media and I have never dealt with multicams before, but I hope this helps you. If the Avid considers a multicam clip like a videomixdown, this is what is killing you. I do not know enough about Avid to be sure, but if I were you, I would export three mulitcam shots from Avid with an AAF. Grade and try round trip.

As far as your timecode goes, that is a different story. I am going to assume you checked the timecode of the original clips against the timecode of the multicam clips to see if it is the same. Perhaps the TC on the original clips is different between the two cameras and the Avid made its own multicam timecode which won't match anything. I would see if the Avid editor can remove the Multicam clip and replace it with the original clip from the camera. Then export an AAF. Not fun, but it may work for ya.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]