FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is the rendering of uncompressed 4K video and 3D visual effects all in the Graphics Card?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan White
Is the rendering of uncompressed 4K video and 3D visual effects all in the Graphics Card?
on Jun 8, 2014 at 2:48:06 pm

I was able to figure that I'm able to make DaVinci Resolve, the software, run on my computer in this configuration:

- Windows 8.1 Pro
- Intel First Generation i7 Quad Core 3.2 GHz processor
- 12 GB RAM
- AMD Radeon 1 GB graphics
- 2 TB HDD
- Blu-ray Burner from LG

The model is a Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000 from late 2009

Keep in mind, though, that I had this computer for 4 years. I probably question, is the capabilities of rendering uncompressed 4K RAW video and 3D visual effects and 3D animation all in the Graphics Card? Should I make the jump from 1 GB to 6 GB of graphics on the current configuration that I have to accomplish the 4K video thing, even RED camera footage? Is my motherboard unable to support it? Computers would usually have an expected lifetime of 10 years at the most. I know a lot about computers, I'm currently providing IT services for my dad's company, studying for a Microsoft Certification exam, and I'm practicing programming skills in the ACM Student Chapter. I would be considered a technical supervisor on any animated movie I direct. Is the graphics card the only thing on my computer I need to upgrade in order to achieve full rendering of uncompressed 4K and RED video and 3D VFX and animation?

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: Is the rendering of uncompressed 4K video and 3D visual effects all in the Graphics Card?
on Jun 10, 2014 at 3:57:52 pm
Last Edited By EricBowen on Jun 10, 2014 at 3:58:12 pm

No The GPU acceleration only handles certain aspects of the frame data. The decoding and encoding is done at the CPU. 4K frames require a significant amount of processing dependent on the codec of media your coming from and going to. The system you mention will not handle 4K frames very well because the CPU processing capability is significantly lower than the current CPU's especially the E5 v2 Xeons. The ram bandwidth also is a major concern since that is how the data transits to the GPU for GPU processing and then back again to the CPU. Changing the Video card will only help so much and that CPU will not be able to really push the data fast enough for any significant load on the current GPU's. If your moving to a 4K workflow then it's time for a new workstation.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]