FORUMS: list search recent posts

X-Keys

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan La Fontaine
X-Keys
on Jun 7, 2014 at 4:48:45 am

Just wondering if anyone is using the 3rd party units called X-Keys from P.I. Engineering. They're a fully programmable key pad unit that looks like it'd be very handy to use with a wave or element or basically anything that is missing key features at a touch.

Cheers,

Tristan.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: X-Keys
on Jun 8, 2014 at 3:30:52 am

That is an interesting device, basically a box that holds macros and certain key combinations. I believe there is a major A-list colorist who uses this for printer lights, LUT modification, and other specialized functions.

Link is here:

http://xkeys.com/xkeys/xk80.php

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on Jun 8, 2014 at 4:08:45 am

I use them as well.

They have a case study posted specifically regarding post production.

http://xkeys.com/utilization/postproduction.php

Return to posts index

Tristan La Fontaine
on Jun 8, 2014 at 6:59:03 am

Yeah I thought so too. It's good to have a bit extra in the arsenal when you're working somewhere that doesn't have full functionality. I didn't go with the xk 80 but the 60 but jesus t**ty f****ing christ it's a complicated unit to configure. Node based scripting... clever software but without a programing/ scripting/ developer background its a serious learning curve. Still, would recommend for sure.

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Jun 9, 2014 at 7:03:59 am
Last Edited By Mel Matsuoka on Jun 9, 2014 at 7:08:29 am

I use an XK-60 on a daily basis with Resolve. It's an absolute godsend, using it in conjunction with my Eclipse CX control surface. I have the Xkeys panel set up to trigger crazy macros and Applescripts I've built that allow me direct access to things like all of the Hue Curves panels, Qualifier +/- modes, Gallery Still & timeline node-graphs, panel expand/shrink widgets, All/Color/PTZR toggle modes etc.

It's a bit tricky to control Resolve outside of it's officially supported keyboard shortcuts, but for me, I find it to be a fun personal challenge to try and outwit Resolve's impenetrable-to-Applescript-UIScripting custom interface, and roll my own shortcut functionality. I believe Resolve uses the "Qt" GUI framework, instead of Apple's native Cocoa UI framework, which as far as I can tell makes it damn near impossible to address interface elements using AppleScript UI Scripting. But you'd be surprised just how far you can get using an utility like Keyboard Maestro or ControllerMate.

I'd recommend using Keyboard Maestro instead, if you find that the node-based system of ControllerMate tends to make your brain explode.

Return to posts index

Tristan La Fontaine
on Jun 9, 2014 at 10:45:38 am

Thanks for your reply Mel, sounds like you're pushing it to the limit and then some. So forgive me for asking, I know it's seriously lazy of me, and I wouldn't blame you for being a little protective of your scripting knowledge and many, many hours you've no doubt put into programming your XK-60 but how would you feel about sharing your .cmate file with us here? My level of understanding of the controller mate software is at keyboard shortcuts and macros only.

Either way, thanks for your input and i'll definitely have a good look at KM too.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Bernardo Brik
on Jun 12, 2014 at 12:05:48 am

I use a Novation Launchpad with my Tangent Wave.
It is a MIDI device with 80 buttons.
I use the same software that X-keys use to program the macros (controller mate).
I really like it. It has been very useful, specially for the memories, since the shortcut for the memories in resolve are, in my opinion, horrible.

This is not my final layout, but it's the only picture I got around:

Return to posts index

Javier Perez
on Sep 22, 2014 at 7:17:43 am

Hi, I like your launchpad.
Is it possible to assign a key to switch node?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Alan McCabe
on Jan 19, 2015 at 5:17:56 pm

Hi really nice `Bernardo, mine arrived today, how did you get the keys to light with controller mate any chance you could point me in the right direction.

Cheers Alan

Return to posts index

brice auger
on Feb 7, 2015 at 10:58:22 pm

Hey,

I got a launchpad too and I would like to program some macro to have my shortcut on it. I start to use ControllerMate sofware to program the macros and it works perfectly, but I can't find the way to turn on the Led and change the leds color on the midi controller...

Bernardo, could you tell me how you made it with ControllerMate ? I tried again and again but I can't find the way !

Thx

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]