Broadcast

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stepan Ko
Broadcast
on Jun 2, 2014 at 8:57:44 pm
Last Edited By Stepan Ko on Jun 2, 2014 at 8:58:08 pm

Hello all

So the question is... Submitting for broadcast!

I understand the basics but if people could correct me and add I would really appreciate it (Or maybe there is a whitepaper on this somewhere that would save the hassle of answering)

1) Make sure the fps is correct (in case it's going to several different areas of the world)
2) make sure video levels are within range.
3)render out prores 422 (from resolve) as that is within video levels.

But then the questions:
What is the standard for audio levels, and what are the ways (software) of achieving these levels

And then when I checked the BBC requirements there is a line that says file format should be MXF so prores doesn't do?. And whatever the hell is lineup and ident clock that needs to be added to the program? And is all that metadata really mandatory (there are more than 20 fields of it it seems with the bbc)

Appreciate the info!

All the best

Stepan

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Broadcast
on Jun 2, 2014 at 11:05:18 pm

Each broadcaster and distributor will have its own deliverable spec sheet. I have a stack of them, some of which run to book-length. ZDF's Guideline gets to 78 pages.

There are really three frame bases for deliverables: Universal (23.98), International (50i) and Domestic North American (59.94i) with some variations.

Check with the broadcasters what the video level tolerance is. Usually Resolve does take care of this, but if you add anything in an NLE such as graphics, all bets are off.

Generally, broadcasters want "0" VU, which corresponds to -20dBm on the FCP timeline. Simkplay cranking everything down is not a good solution, as it destroys the dynamic range which your mix might have had. A professional mixer will try to keep as much SPL as possible and then compress for peaks.
The FCC fines overages.

If you are asked for MXF, then Quicktime is out. Sometimes you can wrap Apple codecs in MXF, but 10 times out of 10 they will either want DnXHD or XDCam VBR 50MB/s. It will be in their spec sheet.

Sounds like you are being asked for an XML metadata file.

Fill out as much as you can -- if you miss something like the Aspect Ratio code, then there is a risk that your project will not get to air the way you want it to.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 2, 2014 at 11:44:29 pm

I agree (as usual) with Joe above. But I would add: get the specs in writing. Also be aware that they may need a countdown, slate, or preliminary material before and after the program contents. I usually give them that anyway unless they specifically say not to.

Audio levels are extremely complicated and generally involve being ITU R128/ATSC compliant. There are plug-ins that will help verify where the trouble spots are, but I would check over on sound-specific discussion groups like Gearslutz to find out how to get levels in line.

For picture, I find it never hurts to create a track custom clip curve to kill any overshoots over 100ire or whatever the spec you're trying to hit. In general, it's better being too conservative than too loose.

Note that Resolve v11 will have a "legalizing" feature with three different clip-level modes, and this will make it much easier to create broadcast-legal pictures.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 3, 2014 at 9:01:25 am

As of October this year most UK broadcasters will have adopted the uk DPP spec (Digital production Partnership) Their website has the generic spec but you still need the actual broadcaster spec for specific guidelines.
You also need to legalise the video signal. Being prores won't make it legal.
And deal with loudness.
Broadcast finishing can be an expensive business if it keeps getting rejected....

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 3, 2014 at 9:53:37 am

That's very helpful, Patrick -- I agree with many of the standards they're proposing.

The weblink for the standards is here:

http://www.digitalproductionpartnership.co.uk

Return to posts index

Stepan Ko
on Jun 3, 2014 at 6:40:41 pm

Thanks a million for the replies!

Joseph:

Levels are checked and as Marc suggested I'm putting a hardclip on track level so that should take care of everything. And resolve is the last link in the chain. The thing is i'm not being asked for anything apart from prores 422 right now, but it just makes me slightly worried, because i'm not sure if the client is expecting to get a file that can just be submitted to the broadcaster (and there are so many things to take into account according to the BBC's guidelines) or if the client has someone else prepping it for broadcast. Also I want to know this just for myself in case I am every the last person before the submission.

Marc:
Thanks, will check out the audio discussions and see what I dig up. So countdown is something that you need to put before and after? Right this explains quite a bit. I was just trying to decipher what lineup ident/clock, black or living hold is in the BBCs guidelines, i've attached a screenshot of that page, apparently this is something that needs to go before and after the program. Not sure what I'd trust more, a hardclip or some specific function that is supposed to legalize. After all there are similar legalizers in NLEs and they don't seem to be very good. Then again BM knows their stuff...

Patrick:
Thanks will check all of this out. As I understand this is something that you have courses about in the VET? I might need to go check it out.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 3, 2014 at 7:16:17 pm

[Stepan Ko] "The thing is i'm not being asked for anything apart from prores 422 right now, but it just makes me slightly worried, because i'm not sure if the client is expecting to get a file that can just be submitted to the broadcaster"

It sounds like it may be prepped elsewhere -- what the ProRes may be fulfilling is as a so-called "mezzanine" file that is essentially a master master from which versions are drawn for repurposing as streaming files, various distribution paths with commercial breaks, seamless, etc.

This spring I wound up with 27 timelines for a project with universal, international and domestic distribution. Sort of almost every possible permutation. Sometimes different color bars, duration and position, slates, some wanted countdown, others wanted black... and on top of that I was cross-converting captions and subtitles.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Stepan Ko
on Jun 5, 2014 at 8:39:42 pm

27 timelines! Hell I though my 8 timelines is a lot, was worried whether resolve would stay stable!

Patrick:

I came over to the vet at some point as part of a course from four corners and I work 2 minutes from you so possibly will need to invest into one of the courses!

Thanks for the input!

All the best

Stepan

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 3, 2014 at 7:43:09 pm

VET doesn't run any scheduled online courses as such. We mainly delver short courses of a day to 3 days and there's a lot to cover to bring an online editor upto broadcast delivery standard.
We do courses that build towards it and I sometimes do one to one sessions.
The other consideration is Quality Control of the final output. So record report of qualitive and technical aspects.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]