FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Resolve Upscaling Confidence

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Lindemuth
Davinci Resolve Upscaling Confidence
on May 30, 2014 at 5:27:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I work in documentary & am looking for a little confidence here, we are going to conform and finish our film in 2k, but have quite a bit of material sourced in 1080 - as well as archival footage in a whole plethora of different resolutions.

I wanted to see if I could consider Resolves upscaling ability to be rock solid and pro enough to say I'm getting very close to "best result possible" if I was to treat the bulk of my rescaling there. I have gone through everything from doing software scaling in after effects to terranex in the past, and I know that in most cases, results can be subjective and that crappy footage just looks like crappy footage in any resolution. I am primarily interested in gaining confidence thru consensus that the scaler will take my 1080 to 2k the best way...or at least very close to it. (I know 2k & 1080 are very close in rez and will likely be indistinguishable from one another in most viewing conditions, again just looking for confidence)

Additionally, I wanted to see what kind of "consolidating" options resolve has for projects and media - it could be that we prep and conform in house here, and then hand off the project and media to our color facility for grading.

Thanks! A simple "dude resolves rescaling is the bomb" and "has easy to use intuitive consolidate feature" will suffice, but any additional insight or alternatives would be great.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Davinci Resolve Upscaling Confidence
on May 30, 2014 at 7:53:56 pm

What percentage of your footage is acquired at 2K or higher?

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 30, 2014 at 8:28:48 pm

Juan has a good question -- you might look at downscaling the 2K especially if your release is going to be 1998x1080 DCI or lower.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 2, 2014 at 11:48:41 pm

[Ben Lindemuth] "I know 2k & 1080 are very close in rez and will likely be indistinguishable from one another in most viewing conditions, again just looking for confidence..."
Do a test and see. In the real world, there are so many factors affecting picture quality and sharpness, there's no way to predict it. My gut feeling is there won't be any discernible difference if the end result is 1080 HD. There are issues with varispeed and motion interpolation, but that's not a sharpness issue per se.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]