FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it better to use Davinci Resolve to do the color grading than premiere? Why?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Santiago Carreño
Is it better to use Davinci Resolve to do the color grading than premiere? Why?
on May 29, 2014 at 6:40:24 am

Hi, so basically I have this Musical Videoclip 'im working on, and I was just watching this online lesson on color grading and the teacher was using Davinci Resolve. Why Is it better to do the color correction in a software like Davinci Resolve than Premiere or Sony Vegas? THanks im in the process of learning....

Return to posts index

Dorian Heller
Re: Is it better to use Davinci Resolve to do the color grading than premiere? Why?
on May 29, 2014 at 7:28:30 am

They really are fundamentally different software. While PPro offers the ability to do basic to sometimes advance color corrections, and grades, generally, "pros" will use the more advanced stuff.

My $0.02 is to use what you know, honestly! It will give you the most bang for your buck instead of trying to learn new software you may never use. That being said, it is never a bad idea to learn it, in case you find it to be a better option.

Also, typically speaking, Resolve has more "pro" features, where as PPro you are stuck with more basic correctors. All things considered if your music video is going up online, web compression is terrible, and will destroy minor details between the two softwares. Do what you know, and learn when you can. It is never a bad idea to pick up more marketable skills. Cheers!

dorianheller.com
hellerstudios.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Is it better to use Davinci Resolve to do the color grading than premiere? Why?
on May 29, 2014 at 11:49:21 am

If you are using something like the Baselight or color Finesse plugin in a dedicated editing application, the results will be the same.
But you will lack a lot of the amazing features Resolve has and people like to use.
Like the done-in-a-blink-of-the-eye tracker to limit skin corrections.
Or the new temporal noise reduction.
Or making 10 different versions of one clip and flicking through.
Its a different , more direct, more interactive process than using an editing software.
I sometimes have three to four clients in the room with different opinions.
So i need to be very flexible, avoid rendering and plugins.
If you are sitting home alone, again, the result may be the same.
But I am probably at the bar already by then ;)

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.4 - Smoke 2015
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]