FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keyframe shape PowerCurve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Jenkins
Keyframe shape PowerCurve
on May 18, 2014 at 3:33:20 am

I am trying to track a PowerCurve drawn shape but the track keep losing the objects shape. I want to manually correct the shape but I can't get it to work. I went to Frame mode but when I change the drawn shape it doesn't follow the changes over time.

Any ideas?

Latest version of Resolve & 10.9.2 on the Mac

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

michael stirling
Re: Keyframe shape PowerCurve
on May 19, 2014 at 11:37:37 am

I've always found keyframing/between tools in the tracker window too fiddly and prefer a combination of tracking and using the keyframer window.

In the keyframe window click the little diamond next to the corrector you are working on to enable auto- keyframe. Now as you move through the timeline of the clip and alter the window you will see keyframes being generated and the window will tween between the shapes.

Remember, if you've used the tracker already then the keyframer will be manipulating that data which itself is changing over time. You may want to add keyframes to block in the points in track that are good rather than just starting from the top and altering as you go as you may end up fighting the track.

M

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 20, 2014 at 8:03:10 pm

Sometimes it boils down to six of one, half dozen of the other.

As the Mocha trainers advise, you have to start thinking like an animator. Roto is cruel and unusual punishment at the best of times, so being strategic is key. If the objet you are trying to isolate is travelling too much or in less than ideal 2-D trajectories, then a blend of keyframe/track/manual is going to be the result. Watch your clip through. Where is the least amount of work? Make your shape for that, see how much the tracker can do for you, then start keyframing shape changes and re-tracking, until the errors grow too large again... Try to pick "tangent" targets that a sort of linear interpolation will take care of, and then iteratively trim out the largest departures along that track by inserting dynamics...

And, you know, make sure you're on the right node, that sort of thing...

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on May 21, 2014 at 1:14:13 am

Just to add to jPo's fine points, you don't have to do it all in one shape. Often breaking something down into a set of shapes rather than one, gets you faster/better results.

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on May 24, 2014 at 3:57:09 am

Thanks for all the tips!

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>