FORUMS: list search recent posts

After giant conform, best way to create new clean project

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernest Savage
After giant conform, best way to create new clean project
on May 12, 2014 at 9:25:15 pm

Hello,

I've just completed a gigantic cluster-f*** of a conform. Now I'd like to create a brand new project and get rid of all media and timelines I don't need. I also crashed quite a bit during the conform, so I'm a little nervous that the conform project might be corrupt. I searched the forum, and only found other people asking for the same workflow.

"Trim clips" is greyed out, I was going to use that for trim my media. Files are Quicktime 8 bit Pal SD uncompressed. It's a legacy project. Any idea why "Trim Media" is unavailable?

Tried exporting several XML formats and crashed.

In apps like Symphony, you just create a new sequence (timeline), put it in a new bin, create a new project, and import just that bin with the new sequence. You get a nice clean project.

What's the best workflow for resolve?

Resolve version 10.1.1.008

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
Re: After giant conform, best way to create new clean project
on May 13, 2014 at 1:28:07 am

no elegant way yet. trim is only for .r3d at the moment. man PAL SD - that's probably the source of crashes!
duplicate your project in the project manager. also export it to save a backup.
in the duplicate project (or reimported backup) right click in the media page and add a "usage" column - then sort by usage. then you can delete all the clips with "0" usage. Then delete all the sequences you don't need. then you can use the resolve media manager to copy all the remaining clips in the media bin to a new folder or drive. then relink all the media to that path.
I don't know of a better way.
except! the fantastic app "RESOLVE COLLECT" available on the apple store

http://www.filmandtvcolor.com | colorist | Los Angeles, CA

Twitter: @4kfinish

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on May 13, 2014 at 3:36:31 am

You could render out a flat pass of your conformed timeline (with some handles if you need them) to an intermediate codec like ProRes or DPX as a FCP roundtrip. Then import the resulting XML into a clean project with only that rendered media.

Return to posts index

Ernest Savage
on May 13, 2014 at 5:37:49 pm

Hi Brandon,

Does Resolve auto output an XML when converting to intermediate codec? You mention "resulting XML.". Or do I have to additionally export an XML form the timeline?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on May 13, 2014 at 7:39:21 am

THAT is one of the features I hope to find in R11
One of my favourite functions in Scratch/Smoke/Premiere

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.4 - Smoke 2015
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Ernest Savage
on May 13, 2014 at 5:34:43 pm

thanks all for the responses. will test each method on a short reel. probably leaning toward rendering out DPX.

I'll be exporting the XML from resolve, since I had to replace so many clips from the FCP XML. What's the best format to export from resolve, to reimport into resolve? leave it in FCP 3?

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on May 14, 2014 at 6:33:35 pm

Good idea...DPX is the cleanest thing you can do..

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.4 - Smoke 2015
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

sean ross
on May 24, 2014 at 12:43:52 am

DPX reconform is the way to go I'm afraid!

I rendered out DPX with handles from my XML and it worked wonderfully. I was using canon c300 files which made an impossibly big database (10 minutes to save) and was buggy. I just exported DPX, exported XML, brought it all into a clean project, and never looked back....at least until the edit was entirely reworked for a feature length documentary, and I had to do the whole process again, but that is besides the point.

good luck,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]