FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I Copy Groups between two AAFs

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Longchamps
How do I Copy Groups between two AAFs
on May 12, 2014 at 8:40:21 pm

I have a 45 minute show from Avid Via AAF. All the media is on the Isis drive and I am playing back and coloring the media from Isis. All is well. Since there are lot of interviews in this show, I have grouped together all the clips of the same head shot and I can grade one clip in the group and they all change. Everything is still good. The Avid editor has made some changes to the show and gives me a new AAF which I import into Resolve. Since I am working in Remote Grade, all the grades get automagically copied into the new timeline. All is still great. Here is the issue. When I go to the new AAF timeline, the grades are all there but the group information seems to have not carried over. The groups are still in the original AAF timeline. How can I copy groups from one AAF timeline to another? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: How do I Copy Groups between two AAFs
on May 17, 2014 at 9:28:22 pm

I'm not sure if ColorTrace will copy groups or not, but my memory is that it will not. I think all you can do is recreate the groups and deal with it that way.

I'm suspicious of groups because I think a lot of how the shots play is context, and if a vastly different shot precedes the interview shot, you may have a completely different feel for how it needs to look. Sometimes, matching a shot we haven't seen for 2 minutes is not as important as making it flow with where the shot is this very moment.

Return to posts index

Mark Longchamps
Re: How do I Copy Groups between two AAFs
on May 19, 2014 at 1:24:03 pm

Thanks Marc. I will give color trace a try, but after some research, groups do not seem to want to copy over between AAF or XMLs. I too was skeptical of groups, but I work on a reality TV show with lots and lots of three camera interviews (medium of host, medium of guest and wide shot) and grouping these shots saves a ton of time when doing a grade. I do not use groups for commercials or features, but reality TV just screams for this kind of workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]