FORUMS: list search recent posts

Banding in blur

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurent Fluttert
Banding in blur
on May 7, 2014 at 2:46:11 pm

Hi,

In order to make a radiator less prominent I applied a heavy blur over the radiator and the white wall the radiator is standing in front of. Everything looks fine until I render to an output file. In the shot clearly visible banding appears in the blur.
It doesn't make any difference what kind of file I render to.
Also I noticed, that when in Resolve I switch between the edit tab and the color tab, the banding shows up in edit, not in color.
The material I am working on is R3D, RED code settings are Full Res. Premium for the project and the clips are set to project settings.
I also exported the shot as DPX 16 bit, without any correction or blur, imported the DPX shot, put blur on that and saw the banding appearing again, in edit mode and in the output render.
When I grab a still from that shot, that still looks fine in resolve, but when I export the still, the banding is back.
Is there a workaround?
Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? Anyone experienced the same?
I am working on Windows 7 with the last version of Resolve.

Thanks,

Laurent Fluttert

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
Re: Banding in blur
on May 7, 2014 at 3:19:54 pm

But is it an issue of monitoring?

Return to posts index

Laurent Fluttert
on May 7, 2014 at 6:13:28 pm

No, it is not a monitoring issue. Monitor is 10 bit. Also, when I'm making the blur, no banding is visible on the monitor.
Only when I export or when I switch to 'edit'.

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on May 8, 2014 at 5:31:04 pm

There used to be an issue several versions back where your choice of scaling algorithm could sometimes force Resolve to quantize to 8-bit. I think this was fixed quite a while ago, but you might want to change how you scale to see if that has anything to do with it.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Laurent Fluttert
on May 9, 2014 at 8:42:11 am

Thanks Joakim, but no, it's not the scaling. I tried all scaling options but they all result in the banding in the blur.
I tried what would happen if I put blur on the shot in After Effects: also banding! (And I made shure that input and output settings were 4K 10 bit).
I rescaled the shot outside of Resolve, made it RGB 10bit, but again in Resolve, the banding occured.

I worked around it: the blur was intended to make a radiator less prominent; now I removed the blur but also removed the radiator from the shot (in after effects). Problem solved (sort of).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]