FORUMS: list search recent posts

scripting resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
len hugh
scripting resolve
on May 1, 2014 at 1:34:40 am

(Im new to resolve)
I was wondering if there is a language to automate resolve, e.g. scripting?
Has anyone had a go at this and may be able to give me advice on where to start?

I am familiar with applescript, and am learning c++.

I have rushes coming in daily and would like to create an automation of my daily workflow.
eg, a watch folder that would put the clips into a sequence, export dnx files, and email me when done.
Thanks in advance
L

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
Re: scripting resolve
on May 2, 2014 at 12:35:42 am

God I wish there were.

The best you can really do is use AppleScript UI Scripting and things like Keyboard Maestro to automate things in Resolve.

Unfortunately, the highly customized UI that Resolve has makes it really difficult to access UI items, even with UI Scripting, but it can be done. I've built a lot of crazy Keyboard Maestro macros that use image-detection rules (that in turn calls internal AppleScript scripts) that allow me to build shortcut mappings for things that currently don't exist in Resolve.

To call such measures a "hack" is a gigantic understatement. I have a lot of fun trying to outsmart Resolve with all these hacks, but I'd rather they be implemented natively, so I can waste my time on more important things :P

Return to posts index

len hugh
on May 2, 2014 at 12:53:04 am

Thanks for you post.

Im not familiar with keyboard Maestro.
I do use quickeys for most things, Im assuming they both do the same things but ill take a look at it.

It sounds like most apps. I struggle with Avid in the same way.
If only we developers could open the door to the UI a bit and allow professionals to streamline. So much of what we do is repetitive. It can feel like being an accountant some days.

Thats my whinge for the day!
Thanks again

Return to posts index

Danny Thompson
on May 5, 2014 at 2:19:08 am

Well this Keyboard Maestro program blows me away. One step closer to making my stuff deployable. Thanks!

Studio - eMac G4, 256mb ram, Final Cut DV
Mobile - IBM R50, 1024mb ram, 80gb Hitachi Travelstar ATA133 7200rpm hard drive

Return to posts index

Danny Thompson
on May 2, 2014 at 3:11:59 pm
Last Edited By Danny Thompson on May 2, 2014 at 3:14:02 pm

I guessed that Mel's response would be the case, the interface is pretty unique.

I use ControllerMate and Max/MSP to do mouse stuff via the keyboard. By detecting what room I am in in Resolve I can toggle the shortcuts automatically so they don't mess with Resolve when I don't want them to. Through this I've managed to map out all primaries and secondaries stuff, color curves and keying features into keyboard shortcuts ala Scratch. I press a key and it goes to that UI item and clicks down the mouse, then I just drag to adjust. I've put my avid panel away for good and have graded about 10 projects using a keyboard and mouse.

Give ControllerMate a try. By programming mouse clicks and delaying the time between them you can automate any UI stuff in Resolve.

Studio - eMac G4, 256mb ram, Final Cut DV
Mobile - IBM R50, 1024mb ram, 80gb Hitachi Travelstar ATA133 7200rpm hard drive

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]