FORUMS: list search recent posts

black frames on R3d are back

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat Jencks
black frames on R3d are back
on Apr 28, 2014 at 11:14:37 pm

Just opened up an older project which was fine when I wrapped it but need to export a few shots.

It seems that Resolve 10.1.4 has reverted (for me) back to the problem where some shots show up black. problem is intermittent, a usually solved with a reboot. I had this issue fairly frequently a long time ago, maybe even in v9, and then it went away. Now it seems like its back. Anyone else seeing the cursed black frames again?

I"m on 10.1.4 with rocket card.

by default I have rocket run red on and GPU debayer off.

turning rocket debayer AND GPU debayer off seems to solve the issue. But thats no fun at all.

-N

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: black frames on R3d are back
on Apr 29, 2014 at 12:11:14 am

What version of CUDA are you using? Check in system preference, CUDA panel.

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Apr 29, 2014 at 12:49:23 am

CUDA 6.0.37
GPU Driver Version: 8.16.76 310.40.00.20f04

But this is happening even when I turn off GPU debayering.

Problem goes away when I go to completely software only debayer.
This rocket card has never had issues before and performs well in RedCineX Pro.

best-
Nat

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Apr 29, 2014 at 7:05:52 am

Maybe not a problem here but time shows in one point RR is a problem to everybody.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box
Full Ligthspace CMS

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Apr 29, 2014 at 5:59:02 pm

It does seem like its an especially moody card.

In this case though it seems to be related to the update in the way Resolve is handling R3D debarring, since it was working fine before (as of 10.1.1) and now doesn't in 10.1.4.

Hmm. Luckily this isn't urgent for me as I'm on another project (alexa) at the moment.

-N

Return to posts index

Sarah Jones
on May 2, 2014 at 7:30:50 pm

Hi Nat,

CUDA 6.0.37 should generally be okay, but it might be worth a roll back to 5.5.28 just as a test.

Regards,

Sarah
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

sean ross
on May 2, 2014 at 9:13:30 pm

I am having a similar problem except that I don't have a rocket card. I am using GPU debayering only. My project has 8.5 hours of r3d EPIC files non-HDR. Once I scan down the clips, the first few work great. But as I go down the list previewing clips, either in the media manager or in the color window, I will get black clips. They appear to be playing, but nothing but black appears. What is even stranger, is that every time I relaunch Davinci, different clips will go black, and clips that were black before will sometimes turn back into color.

It seems to be that the only thing that is making specific clips black is the order in which I am clicking on them. It seems that the first 15 or so clips I click on in the project will show me video. After that, maybe one or two clips will show me information. Another strange thing is that I can no longer see the missing clips in my media library; the folders appear to be empty.

Also, shutting of GPU debayering allows me to see all of the clips.

I have 4 gtx 680 cards in a Cubix and am running off of a SAN. I am running 10.1.4 on a macintosh using os 10.8.5. Also, I have tried going back to 5.5.28 and it doesn't help.

AAARGH!!!

I have tried putting clips into different folders in my Media Pool.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on May 2, 2014 at 9:16:50 pm

Have you tried the 6.0.37 CUDA update?

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on May 2, 2014 at 11:51:10 pm

Sean, this is EXACTLY the behavior I was seeing when using the rocket, so I think its safe to say that this happens with either the rocket OR gpu debayer, but NOT with software debayer.

Since you have tried with CUDA 5.5.28 and the newer 6.0.37, it also seems that it is not directly related to the CUDA driver version.

My guess is that back rev-ing the version of resolve to 10.1.X prior to 10.1.3 would solve the problem, but obviously I'm not sure, and in your case you don't have a rocket card that doesn't help you.

Sean, perhaps you can send BMD support your logsā€¦ Would love to see this issue solved with a 10.1.5 release or sometime before my next red job! Fingers crossed!

good luck!
best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on May 4, 2014 at 3:33:54 pm

Why does everyone here seem feel that these kind of things are always the "fault" of third parties and not of Red?

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on May 4, 2014 at 4:05:23 pm

Not a matter of "fault" hopefully, mike I agree this could easily be something wonky with the newest red SDK, but hopefully this thread is about finding a solution to this very specific bug, not assigning vague "fault". Bmd does a fantastic job of supporting red workflow and hardware and as discussed earlier in the thread the rocket card can certainly be moody and I'm sure it's no joy to program for it, and a constantly moving target of the red SDK clearly makes things difficult too. That said it does seem clear that something changed in the recent 10.1.4 or earlier point release which broke r3d debayering via GPU or rocket. Whether this is a bug in resolve or in the red SDK is less important to me as an end user than that it get fixed, and the only way that will happen is with further troubleshooting and discussion and feedback to BMD... Which hopefully other folks seeing this problem can provide.

Return to posts index

thibault carterot
on May 6, 2014 at 10:43:05 am

I'm happy to see I'm not alone anymore.

I m having the exact same issue.

I put a post a few days ago but no one noticed !

We went back to 10.1.2 and it seems to have solved the issue.

But for us , problem of blacks occurs since 10.1.3 with last cuda, With red rocket or without (using gpu)

Config : Mac Pro 2010, 12x2,4Ghz, 32Go Ram, 3xTITAN,GT120, Decklink 3D+, RED Rocket, system on Crucial SSD 500, RAID FC 8gb Lacie 24To, CYCLONE PCI expander, Resolve 10.0.2

Return to posts index

Sarah Jones
on May 7, 2014 at 5:31:55 pm

For OS X 10.8.5 users, please try CUDA 6.0.37 with the current NVIDIA web driver for your GPU as opposed to the OS X driver version. You can download the NVIDIA Driver Manager to update your drivers and switch between web driver and OS X driver.

Regards,

Sarah
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

sean ross
on May 24, 2014 at 12:39:38 am

I updated to Davinci 10.1.5 and to the new CUDA driver, and GPU Debayering issue disappeared. I can see all of my RED footage, and things are running swimmingly. Thanks Blackmagic..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]