FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Orphan" stills feature not working in 10.1.4?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mel Matsuoka
"Orphan" stills feature not working in 10.1.4?
on Apr 24, 2014 at 10:59:48 pm

I spent the last 15 minutes grading a "shot-from-Hell", and after applying a Noise Reduction node to the grade, Resolve hard-crashed to the desktop. Atypical from my usual project-saving paranoia, I had not been forcing saves within that timeframe, so when I reopened the project, my painstaking work had vanished.

Between the last time I manually saved the project and the time it crashed, I saved numerous stills of the grade in question. In previous versions of Resolve, I could generally recover from a hard crash like this by looking in the "Orphans" folder in the Gallery page, and recovering the stills that way. But this time, my Orphans folder was completely empty!

I inspected the ".gallery" folder (defined in the "Gallery Stills Location" setting in the General Options prefs, and noticed many folders with creation dates that fall within the range of time that I had actually saved those stills. Is there any way to restore these to my Gallery?

More importantly, have I found a bug in the Orphan stills feature that caused my unsaved stills to not show up in the Orphans gallery folder?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: "Orphan" stills feature not working in 10.1.4?
on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:39:35 am

After more than 20 years of using various daVinci-branded projects, I continue to be amazed that the default for the program isn't "auto-save every 30 minutes." Makes me crazy.

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:58:17 am
Last Edited By Mel Matsuoka on Apr 25, 2014 at 9:00:14 am

[Marc Wielage] "After more than 20 years of using various daVinci-branded projects, I continue to be amazed that the default for the program isn't "auto-save every 30 minutes." Makes me crazy."

Well in all fairness, the reason why I was less than diligent in forcing my own saves is because of the interminably slow save times when you're working in a large project. Using disk-based projects instead of database projects is faster, but it's still way too slow to be kicking in as an autosave task every 5-10 minutes. It would drive me absolutely crazy if my grading sessions were being constantly interrupted by that damn modal autosave progress meter.

It would be nice if Resolve could keep track of every change to every grade that you make, and asynchronously save them in the background (or at least schedule them in smaller "batches" for performance reasons, like maybe every 5-10 parameter changes). This is one of the features I miss most about the old Discreet edit* NLE. That thing was rock solid, but on the rare occasions when it would crash, you wouldn't lose a single moment of work, because every action you made was automatically being journaled in the background to the edit* database (which was a FoxPro based backend, amazingly enough). As anyone who worked with edit* can attest, performance was *never* an issue, even on late 90's/early 2000's Pentium Pro hardware, so it's probably not a farfetched notion to see a similar feature integrated into Resolve in the future.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 26, 2014 at 6:28:19 am

[Mel Matsuoka] "Well in all fairness, the reason why I was less than diligent in forcing my own saves is because of the interminably slow save times when you're working in a large project."
The answer to that is: don't do large projects. Break it down into reels. I avoid anything longer than 30 minutes when I can, unless it's a 1-hour episodic (which is typically about 43 minutes of material. Ideally, 20-22 minutes is more workable, and this also fits in the tradition of film editing.

Another advantage of cutting the show down into reels is if there's any changes, you don't have to worry about working out changes through a massive timeline -- just a 20- or 30-minute timeline. This is also helpful to people in other rooms working on editing and sound mixing.

Once the individual timelines (reels) are locked, then you can either export them and tie them together via a roundtrip, or create one big final timeline just for the output render.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]