FORUMS: list search recent posts

Analog & Digital color correction hardware?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Gardner
Analog & Digital color correction hardware?
on Apr 24, 2014 at 10:33:10 am

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I'm an audio engineer and a lot of times we go for older, used hardware units for FX processing. Sometimes a software plugin is OK, but hardware (even if it's not analog) is usually a bit better for various reasons. This makes me wonder if there are any older hardware color correction units out there that people have forgotten about, just like they have with FX processor rack units.

I took a quick look and there's some DaVinci units for like $50k, but that's apparently out of my budget. Are there any used hardware units that can handle HD 1080p that won't break the bank, or am I dreaming here?

Return to posts index

Rick Turners
Re: Analog & Digital color correction hardware?
on Apr 24, 2014 at 2:37:00 pm

You can get a 2009 lustre for around 30k, a 2010 nucoda for around 40k.
Anything older/cheaper would be worse than building a macpro based davinci.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 24, 2014 at 8:08:35 pm

I know what you are doing here as I am also in the boat owning a Jupiter 8 and some tubes.
But you wont get the same results..
Printing to film and digitising again would do the trick, same as pressing vinyl and re-recording.
But its not really worth it, you can get very close with Sapphires, film stock overlays and custom algorythms today.
You dont need a Neve anymore, or a Fairlight ;)

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.0.021
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:42:08 am

[Jared Gardner] "I'm an audio engineer and a lot of times we go for older, used hardware units for FX processing. Sometimes a software plugin is OK, but hardware (even if it's not analog) is usually a bit better for various reasons. This makes me wonder if there are any older hardware color correction units out there that people have forgotten about, just like they have with FX processor rack units."
No.

This is kind of like asking, "should I use an Ampex AG-300 or Pro Tools in 2014?" And the answer is, use Pro Tools. It's infinitely faster, cheaper, and it's what clients ask for.

About the only two or three things I can think of where you still really need hardware:

1) legalizer (not unlike a hard-limiter/compressor)

2) HD videotape machines (for companies that require HD-Cam SR tape delivery)

3) standard-def DigiBeta videotape machines (for companies that require standard-def tape delivery)

Beyond that, it's all pretty files. Well, except for the last bastions who require a film-out.

Return to posts index

Jared Gardner
on Apr 25, 2014 at 8:47:36 am

I was just curious since I got into video in the digital age. Some of those cheap hardware FX processors are great and cheap, so I was wondering if there was an equivalent with video. I'm guessing not though. From what I'm seeing, anything that works with HD is going to be 10s of thousands of dollars.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 28, 2014 at 5:33:03 am

It depends. From what I see, a lot of the $50,000 HD processors that came out 10 years ago are now $49.95 on eBay. The exception would be HDCam-SR decks, which still have a value since they're still needed for deliverables by some clients. We're not completely file-based yet.

Return to posts index

Jared Gardner
on Apr 28, 2014 at 6:26:36 am

Can you name some of those brands/models?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 28, 2014 at 9:33:13 am

Oh, there's all kinds of old crap up on eBay: proc amps, image enhancers, noise reducers, telecines, color correctors, you name it. I don't know what's sadder... the fact that this stuff is going for only a fraction of what it sold for in the 1990s, or how some morons believe it's still worth many thousands of dollars today. There's people trying to sell 9-year-old hardware Resolves for $50,000. :-0

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 28, 2014 at 6:45:22 pm

[Marc Wielage] "This is kind of like asking, "should I use an Ampex AG-300 or Pro Tools in 2014?""

Not really the same as vinyl vs. CD and tubes vs. transistors... does anything beat a Marshall valve amp? No. Can you get sustained fuzz feedback though your iPad? Not sure I want to try that.

For uprez, transcode and so on, can you beat a Teranex? No, in terms of price, efficiency and quality.

But most hardware for video, these days is totally outclassed by software solutions. The threshold occurred about 15 years ago in major markets, and 7-8 years ago in secondary markets.

No one that I know would be remotely interested in correcting anything on an 8:8:8 anymore, unlikely even with a later model 2K+. And you wold be judged insane to suggest a Dubner. The other issue is that most hardware solutions started dying out with the advent of HD -- some were built, but the die was already cast in favour of commodity PC-based processing.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]