Library Empty In Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Thomas
Library Empty In Resolve
on Apr 24, 2014 at 12:14:54 am

Hi
I just down loaded DaVinci Lite. Two quick questions
1. I cannot get footage in my library. It has one folder that's my mac movie folder with five folders inside. I've tried dragging footage into this folder to no avail.How do I import footage?
2.I've been color grading in Color from FCP7 and SA color finesse. How does the Resolves lite version compare?
Also if I purchased the upgraded version($995) what improvements am I getting.
I've been working on Hollywood style colorization and while they are satisfactory ,I'd like more control in isolating colors and controlling them. I'm particularly interested in developing color palettes for stylizing video.
Thanks for any help
Bill

Return to posts index

Marcus Smith
Re: Library Empty In Resolve
on Apr 28, 2014 at 5:12:40 pm

Hi Bill,

Seems like your new to Davinci. Welcome!

Before I address each of your questions I'll first make a comment about learning Davinci. Davinci Resolve is a very powerful grading and (soon to be) editing and finishing tool. It's quite unlike most other Non Linear Editors and graders like Color, so I would advise spending a few hours running through the manual before diving in to the program. You'll save quite a bit of time learning, doing it this old school / manual way. Some programs are easy to learn by just diving in without the manual, but in my opinion Davinci Resolve is not one of them.

You can find the manual here:
http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/Manual/DaVinci_Resolve_...

1. Are you running the latest version (10)? As of version 10, all of your hard drives should show up in the media pool. The top left of the media pool shows the folder structures of your hard drive. By drilling down these folders (by clicking on them in the top left pane) you should be able see the contents of them in the right column next to it. Davinci will only show the contents of media it can pull in.

When you click on a folder that you know contains media and you can't see the media in the right pane, the most logical explanation is that Davinci doesn't recognize the media. Maybe your file extension is wrong?

2. The free (Lite) version in V 10 is almost identical to the paid version. There are some differences like the supported timeline resolutions, but if you're just working in HD, you'll be fine with the free version. Maybe try it out first before diving into the paid one, to see if it's for you.

Whatever stage you are with your Post Production skill set, having Davinci under your belt can only be an asset. It's an incredibly powerful program!

Good luck,

Marcus H Smith

Return to posts index

Coralee Long
on Dec 2, 2014 at 2:29:49 pm

Hi guys,

I have a similar problem. I did a clean install to Yosemite on our iMac and now Resolve 11 Lite can't see my hard drives in the library. I tried installing the previous version of Resolve and it didn't help. I then tried to roll back to Version 10 and I can't because of the new operating system. Back on the latest version but still can't see drives. Tried adding additional scratch disks too.

I then compared software on another computer in our office (Still on Mavericks) and noticed that the "Show all mounted volumes in the Library" option in the PREFERENCES menu is missing from the problematic system. So the option is available on our mac pro running Mavericks, but not on our iMac running Yosemite. I mailed Black Magic but haven't gotten any response. I can't seem to find the problem solved on any forums so far.

Return to posts index

Aleksandr Atr
on Dec 6, 2014 at 6:19:53 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem. I downloaded DaVinci Lite this morning and the Library tab does not allow me to browse my folders. I'm using MacBookPro with Yasomite on it. I was wondering if you get respond from BlackMagic team and resolve the problem.

Return to posts index

Dustin Wadsworth
on Jan 2, 2015 at 6:06:47 pm

I have the same problem as well.

I'm on a company computer and left for the holidays. Came back and Yosemite was installed.
Sat with a client this morning for 3 hours reading blog posts / the Resolve manual trying to figure out how to get my libraries back and nothing is working.
For some reason only one directory is working, which is the 'Movies' (/users/myname/movies) folder and is also my designated cache directory. It's the only directory that I can see the folders in my Library panel in Resolve. :/

My current solution is I've cleared space on the HD and now I'm transferring the footage to that folder to work from there.

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on May 21, 2015 at 12:31:42 pm

Same issue here. Downloaded lite, PC version and the only drive that appears in the library is c:\vol0... I am not sure what "vol0" is about. Frustrating. Was hoping to evaluate the grading and editing capabilities for our workflow but am not going to endlessly search posts for solutions... I was ready to give it a chance but I guess not. Hope BM gets this fixed.

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on May 21, 2015 at 1:13:21 pm

Found the solution! A guy from BM posted here:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29855&p=183482&hilit...

that you need to add any drives you want to appear in the library to the "Scratch Disk" list under Preferences > Media Storage. I did that, restarted and WHAM problem solved.

Blackmagic needs to fix this. I almost dropped even looking at it because I couldn't figure this out.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on May 22, 2015 at 3:11:09 am

[Jeff Schaap] "Blackmagic needs to fix this. I almost dropped even looking at it because I couldn't figure this out."
Nothing to fix. This is the way the program works, and it's covered in the manual. Pro Tools has a very similar issue, and you just have to follow the instructions and refresh drives when needed.

Return to posts index

Ryan Clarke
on May 27, 2015 at 4:29:13 am

I disagree, this should be modified. Obviously, with as many of us seeming to run into this same issue I think it warrants a fix. I'm not a protools user as I work on windows and linux. Scratch Disk doesn't mean anything to me. I even added the folder, it didn't fix it, so I deleted it not knowing I needed to reboot. I figured I would go through the manual for more indepth work once it seemed the program was worth my time and effort to learn. But running into this issue right off the bat, had me reconsidering immediately opening up my usual editing suite again and not worrying about Resolve. I recommend just fixing this Black Magic, how hard can it be? Might save you a few users switching to your package.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 27, 2015 at 2:32:03 pm

So the pop up that said, you have changed your configuration. Changes will occur after you restart the program didn't help you realize the a restart was necessary?

I love how you have decided to read the manual AFTER the program proves its worth to you.

How dare the program not do things the way you want them done!

I guess it will be Resolves loss.

I don't like the I'm always having to right click to call up menus. I want it to be a middle click WHY DON'T THEY FIX THIS!!!!

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ryan Clarke
on May 27, 2015 at 4:30:51 pm

Using windows 8 version i didn't have a pop up with this message. No pop up at all. Maybe that's another bug that needs fixing. Ha.

Look, obviously the people on this forum, including myself are here to investigate and determine what's wrong. But not all go to these lengths. And we're extremely appreciative that people like you are here to help (minus the sarcasm). And you're right ofcourse the manual is something that should be read through before giving up. All I'm saying is i see enough people in this chat to tell me that the way it's currently setup warrants a look into modifying the drive setup process. I always consider software should be developed, to an extent, in a "so straight frwd a monkey could figure it out" way, and with myself being the stupid monkey who runs into a wall on step 2, i suggest a rework for future users.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 27, 2015 at 6:05:16 pm

If you aren't getting the pop up in Windows 8, then that is a bug. I know it has been there in Windows 7 for years.

To be honest, I had the same issue 4 or 5 years ago, but I read the manual, watched a couple of tutorials, and figured out what I was doing wrong. (yes, I was the one in the wrong)

Calling the workflow itself a bug is in inaccurate statement. Now that you all know how it works, who can say it is incorrect?

Asking for a feature request is different than complaining about a bug.

That was my point.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Gray Anderson
on Jul 3, 2015 at 10:08:26 pm

Thank you! That little trick saved me!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]