FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Is there a rentable Super 8 gate for Spirit?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jef Huey
OT: Is there a rentable Super 8 gate for Spirit?
on Apr 22, 2014 at 4:06:50 am

Subject says it all.

There used to be a rent-able Super 8 gate for Rank's. Is there such a thing for Spirit? If so, where?

Thanks.

Jef

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
Re: OT: Is there a rentable Super 8 gate for Spirit?
on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:34:33 pm

As far as I know there is no rental S8 gate for the Spirit. Shops with S8 gates include LightPress, Cinelicious, Spectra and Technicolor had one. You could ask but I bet they would want to sell the service and not rent the gate.

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

2X Resolve With Titans, Wave and Element Panels. Telecine and 4K Film Data Scans 8mm,16mm,35mm film lab.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 23, 2014 at 8:10:56 am

[Robert Houllahan] "As far as I know there is no rental S8 gate for the Spirit. Shops with S8 gates include LightPress, Cinelicious, Spectra and Technicolor had one. You could ask but I bet they would want to sell the service and not rent the gate."
Technicolor NY had the S8 Spirit gate, but Hollywood never had the gate. We got it in only on very, very rare occasions.

There are all kinds of scanners that can handle S8/reg8 to HD now, but not necessarily Spirits.

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Apr 23, 2014 at 2:12:43 pm

Hi Marc,

Any idea if Technicolor NY still has that Spirit S8 gate? And any ideas as to who I might contact there to see if it would be rented?

Thanks,

Jef

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 28, 2014 at 5:37:55 am

[Jef Huey] "Any idea if Technicolor NY still has that Spirit S8 gate? And any ideas as to who I might contact there to see if it would be rented?"
No, I think it was only available for internal use for Technicolor divisions. My memory is that the gate had a value of something like $150,000 -- at least, I think that was its insured cost some years back. Not cheap.

I sincerely think you're better off just paying to have it done by another company. You could contact DFT and ask if there's somebody who will rent a Super 8 Spirit gate, but I dunno... they may not have an answer.

Digital Film Technology LLC
3211 Cahuenga Blvd West - Suite 103
Los Angeles, CA 90068
(877) 363-8367
http://www.dft-film.com/

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on May 1, 2014 at 4:25:10 pm

Thanks for the input. In totally get what you are saying.

Jef

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Apr 22, 2014 at 11:26:55 pm

Jef, I don't know where you are, and what quantity of material you want to process, but we have a LaserGraphics ScanStation with a Super 8 gate, which can do actual 2k scans (the camera zooms optically) of S8 material. Send me a message if that's something that could be interesting to you.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Apr 23, 2014 at 2:08:34 pm

Thanks for the info all.

I am working on a personal project. We have a Spirit I can use on off hours. Just need a gate.

Any more ideas, let me know.

Thanks,

Jef

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:18:45 pm

What is the wager that the rental price for the gate would be about the same as a DminDmax scan?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Apr 25, 2014 at 1:24:03 am

Is that a company? Because if it is, boy, did they ever pick a bad name to Google.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]