FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling 5K question

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Sakatch
Scaling 5K question
on Apr 20, 2014 at 12:03:17 am

I have a film that was shot 5k Epic. Through out the process we were told "shooting 5k, framing for 4k 16x9) So now we are starting to do fx plates and getting ready for colour, and it turns out we are simply delivering 2k - 16x9. My question is, what is the best way to do the scaling? The 5k to 4k 16x9 was easy...import 5k into a 4k uhd project with center crop turned on in in the input settings.

Now i was hoping for a simple solution like that in a 2k project to get the same framing, but i'm not seeing a simple input crop. If i select centre crop, ofcourse i get a very narrow view of the footage. If i select fill to corners or fill with crop, i get a different framing than what everyone saw in offline.

I could work in 4k and output 2k.
I could work in 2k and figure out a scale amount to get the same framing.

Just looking for opinions on workflow for this.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: Scaling 5K question
on Apr 20, 2014 at 1:22:50 am

Setup an input scaling preset of 0.5x zoom, and center crop on to a 2K timeline.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 20, 2014 at 2:44:03 am

Thanks Rohit

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 30, 2014 at 2:02:33 pm

Rohit, i've set up my presets, and they work on a shot by shot basis, but i can't get it to work with all the media in the pool.

I went into a project, went to scaling, and created a preset called 5k to 2k 16_9 (.5 zoom)
I then opened a new project, checked "Override input scaling" and selected 5k to HD preset.
Set my input scaling to centre crop no zoom.

I now load my footage, and place on timeline. I still have to go into each shots scaling atributes and tell it to use the project settings...which work, but i was hoping to have it automatically applied when i brought in the footage.

Am I misunderstanding the order of some of these settings?

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]