FORUMS: list search recent posts

Film Restoration?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan White
Film Restoration?
on Apr 18, 2014 at 2:28:45 am

Davinci Resolve 11 was unveiled at NAB 2014, featuring intense file format support for all the camera formats. Hopefully, AJA Cion and Panasonic Varicam 35 RAW files will be supported. In the meantime, a rather simple question about Davinci Resolve. Can it be used for restoration of movies, TV shows, and videos both old and new? Say the Library of Congress has entrusted you the highest quality copy available of a movie made over 100 years ago and they want a 4K restoration of the film for a HD Blu-Ray release. Would Davinci Resolve ever be useful in the restoration process? This is coming from a guy who has never used Davinci Resolve, but seriously plans to because of its editing functions. Also, say that you got some old DVCAM footage from 2001 and you want to take it to HD. Would Davinci Resolve ever be useful in that process? How about the restoration of TV tape shows from the 1980s. Would Davinci Resolve be useful in the process?

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
Re: Film Restoration?
on Apr 18, 2014 at 9:11:37 am

hi jordan,

i would say no. davinci is a great piece of software, but mainly for color correction/grading. originally
the whole restoration tools were a separate software software package, so called revival. they implemented
some small things from that software, like dust and scratch removal, but only to a certain extent. i never
used it, but i know it only works right now with dpx footage... davinci has great up-/downscaling algorithms
but if you also need deinterlacing, field-reversal stuff you can't do this in a proper way. (unless you buy their
teranex unit, which can do some of those things).

i would say take a look at nucoda filmmaster, they are planning to make the software available for about
2000 dollars i've read lately. further investments in some of their plug-ins might be useful for restoration
work!

just my 2 cents, perhaps in the next version of davinci they will implement more restoration features,
would be useful, now that they have launched film-scanners, but for now...

andy

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Apr 19, 2014 at 1:21:29 pm

[Andy Winter] "originally
the whole restoration tools were a separate software software package, so called revival."

They still sell it.

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Apr 18, 2014 at 10:10:55 am

For color correction, sure. We use Resolve extensively in our restoration workflow, mainly for color correction, but also for some format conversion, etc. For everything else you consider "restoration", you want something like pfClean.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 18, 2014 at 1:43:49 pm

If the Library of Congress would do such a dumb move of asking a total noob to do such a high profile job, i suggest nothing but the best :
http://www.mtifilm.com/drs-nova/

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.0.021
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 19, 2014 at 10:10:04 am

[Sascha Haber] "If the Library of Congress would do such a dumb move of asking a total noob to do such a high profile job, i suggest nothing but the best"
I think the best would be to hand the material over to Lowry Digital in Burbank and let them do their proprietary thing. Some of this restoration stuff is not off-shelf software. The color-correction is often the easy part; the other problem is just getting the film itself in good enough shape that it'll scan in the first place. Flicker and shading errors are also real tough, but MTI is one way of doing it. Pixel Farm's PF Clean is also said to be good.

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Apr 19, 2014 at 1:21:05 pm

I thought this was what DaVinci Revival was for?

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Apr 20, 2014 at 7:20:09 am

As someone who has a Davinci Revival Pro license, I can tell you that no, this is not what Revival is for, because Revival is not for anything. It's a uselessly outdated application, and I would not recommend it for anyone.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 20, 2014 at 7:49:01 pm

I believe BMD has pulled revival from the product page.

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:14:18 am

[Juan Salvo] "I believe BMD has pulled revival from the product page."

Interestingly, it seems to be the case. But I checked before I posted my last reply and it was there.

The page itself is still online. http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davincirevival/

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:15:00 am

Never knew it didn't do what it is advertised to do. Good to know.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Apr 20, 2014 at 10:00:59 pm

First of all, the statement "they want a 4K restoration of the film for a HD Blu-Ray release" doesn't make sense. Why do you need 4k resolution for Blue-ray release? Second, as already pointed out, Library of Congress must have a bit more discretion, than to "entrusted you the highest quality copy available of a movie made over 100 years ago" to someone who doesn't even know what tools to use for restoration. Scanning something like that is not a simple matter of throwing the film up on the scanner. It's actually quite a bit more complicated.
Said that, there are plenty of software for tackling the actual restoration.
PFClean, Diamant, Phoenix, MTI.
From conversation with Nucoda people, Digital Vision still does a brisk business in India selling Phoenix, where they sell it by the hundreds. At some places in India they turn out films restored in a day, because they literally have hundreds of people working on it at once. Digital Vision sell a full workflow solution for the film restorations, which also includes a scanner. It is highly automated capable of doing many task hands free, but you still need human touch for certain operations.

Return to posts index

Patrick Morgan
on May 4, 2014 at 9:00:04 pm

Thank you for the mention Jake

Phoenix is a amazing piece of software to have in your arsenal when restoring material, but as many will tell you, no one package solves all problems. Revival has I believe reached the end of it's useful life, the guys at MTI do amazing work and so does HSArt with Diamant, and rounding it out is PFClean.

We are working on Thor, which is a hardware accelerator for our algorithms, that will dramatically speed up processes.

Patrick
Digital Vision

Patrick Morgan
Product Manager - Phoenix
http://www.digitalvision.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]