FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replace Source Clip for Flattened Grade Workflow

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francois Driessen
Replace Source Clip for Flattened Grade Workflow
on Apr 16, 2014 at 3:19:22 pm

Workflow is for grading a sliced up flattened source file. In the past we just had VFX files renamed as the original and replaced them in the project folder so Resolve does not even know that its looking at new footage.

However. In this instance I'd like Resolve to look at a different named file on a different location and linking the XML to that new source file for all the clips that was cut up and graded from it.

Force Conform to the new source file is great but I'd have to do it one clip at a time. It doesn't allow me to select more than one clip on the timeline.

Ideally, I'm looking for something like a RELINK MEDIA option through the Media Manager as NLE's has trained us to think. What's your workflows to achieve this out there?

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.
http://firetrigger.com

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
Re: Replace Source Clip for Flattened Grade Workflow
on Apr 16, 2014 at 6:53:12 pm

I usually take the clips into the Media pool and if the TC matches the Show TC from the flattened media I address the Conform Conflicts.... Obviously not what you wanted to do, but there's no need to force conform... and, again, if the TC matches, Resolve does everything but commit the change for you. So you can get through it pretty easily.

That is pretty much How I deal with Edit changes on shows I work on with Preconform workflows.

eric b johnson
online editor | colorist | workflow
http://vimeo.com/ebjohnson/colorreel

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
Re: place Source Clip for Flattened Grade Workflow
on Apr 16, 2014 at 8:35:11 pm

last project i used the take selector for all vfx
shots. handy to compare, but still manual
work.
you could also change the source folder in
media pool to the new folder.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 17, 2014 at 2:07:12 pm

Not sure how many shots you are dealing with, or where this was originally cut, but it seems to me the "easiest" way to do this is to get the offline edit program to do the exact thing you need Resolve to do.
(Media manage your original edits towards new sources)

If it was cut in Avid, go to avid and to a batch recapture of all the vfx shots, selecting the originals first and pointing avid to the new location. Create an AAF and reconform that timeline in Resolve.
The question then becomes, "Is a half hour back in Avid quicker than doing them manually in resolve?"

Resolve has its editing capabilities, but they are still not there for a full offline workflow (yet). What you are asking for is as much (if not more of) an editing request as a conform request.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Francois Driessen
on Apr 17, 2014 at 2:28:31 pm

You're 100% right this is an Edit/Corform operation. It seems like it should be so simple to just point Resolve to a different file for Source. AE, FCP, PP, Avid, and it seems like everything else can do this - but not Resolve. It can for an individual file basis with no problem - but not if that file is cut into 500 clips each with a local grade + keyframes and tracks on it.

Going back to NLE is not an option. It's unfortunately Premiere Pro. And XML between PP and Resovle is an absolute bag of hurt. Either way. No need to recut. Just need a single source file to look to a different file on a different location and thus propagate all the work that is applied by Resolve on that new file.

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.

Return to posts index

Francois Driessen
on Apr 17, 2014 at 2:22:13 pm

Yea. Changing the Source Folder gets you half way there. You still need the name to match the previous clip's filename exactly. Which is OK, but not as elegant for the long run of project and media management. This is actually the closest, next best thing to what I need to do.

Francois

FireTrigger Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]