"Failed to link" when importing XML / EDL / AAF

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jurjen Versteeg
"Failed to link" when importing XML / EDL / AAF
on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:03:43 am
Last Edited By Jurjen Versteeg on Apr 14, 2014 at 11:50:44 am

Hi there,

We want to do a fairly simple XML import (and link proxies to original DNG sequences) in Davinci Resolve 10, but it's driving us nuts at the studio.

These were our steps:

1. Import Cinema DNG sequences in Resolve
2. Export ProRes proxies
3. Edit in Premiere CC
4. Export edit as XML / EDL (and even AAF)
5. Import in Resolve:

And then it's wrong every time, it says:
"The clip ###### failed to link because the timecode extents do not match any clips in the media pool."

We checked everything (over and over):
√ Exported as XML, EDL and AAF
√ Exported XML from CC and CS6
√ Same file names (MOV and CDNG's)
√ MOV and CDNG's footage are in same folder
√ Deselected "Automatically import source clips.." when importing XML
√ Tried every option in Conform menu op Resolve (Assist using reel names from...)

Do you guys have any ideas on how to possibly solve this?

Maybe we forgot something or did something wrong in this menu:

Thanks a million!

Cheers,
Jurjen

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: "Failed to link" when importing XML / EDL / AAF
on Apr 14, 2014 at 2:03:35 pm

does your Pro Res files tc match the original tc? Perhaps the problem occured when the original prores files were created?.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Jurjen Versteeg
on Apr 14, 2014 at 2:31:47 pm

Yes. We checked this in both Premiere and Resolve. One clip is exactly the same length in both applications.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 14, 2014 at 6:37:19 pm

[Jurjen Versteeg] " One clip is exactly the same length in both applications."

Duration is one thing, actual time code HH:MM:SS:FF have to be exactly the same as well.

Can you "Force conform with selected clip?"
Can you deliberately import the source media you want to link to into the Media Pool and even drag and drop the clips into the timeline?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Apr 14, 2014 at 6:57:13 pm

look in the media pool, do you have proper reel-names?

are the reel-names the ones from the xml?

if not, change the reel name setting (eg to embedded in source clip)

Return to posts index

Owain Hopkins
on Jul 23, 2014 at 2:22:34 pm

Hi jurjen,

Did you ever solve this problem?

I am trying to import an xml but keep getting the same message no matter how many options I change.

thanks,

owain

Return to posts index

Jurjen Versteeg
on Jul 23, 2014 at 2:41:51 pm

Hi Owain,

This is probably not the desirable answer to your question, but I drove me totally nuts and deleted Resolve and switched back to After Effects. I find the grading tools in AE easier to use.

Perhaps if there's an update in the future I might give it a try again,

Best of luck!

Jurjen

Return to posts index

Owain Hopkins
on Jul 24, 2014 at 10:25:42 am

Hi Jurjen,

I got it to work!

The new Resolve 11 lite does it.

1. I imported DNG'S into resolve
2. Selected 'Assist using reel names' in the settings
3. Exported proxies using the 'Final cut xml round trip' from the deliver tab
4. Edited proxies in premiere (with no transitions)
5. Exported XML from premiere
6. Opened XML in Resolve and made sure not to import the proxies with it
7. Bingo!

Owain

Return to posts index

rashad al-safar
on Aug 28, 2014 at 5:53:02 pm

what version of premiere are you running?

Return to posts index

Vlad Nikitin
on Jan 6, 2015 at 11:21:07 pm

!!! SOLUTION FOUND !!! (At least worked in my case)

I created Quicktime Prores proxies from r3d files in RedCine to edit, did so in Premiere CC, and when I was done I took the .xml sequence to DaVinci to color work, and then the problem of linking original files with an xml sequence (from Premiere) in DaVinci almost drove me cray cray.

After trying all sorts of different exports: cleaning up all the effects, creating a trimmed project, even impoting an xml sequence into Final Cut Pro, and then exporting it again as an xml sequence (even using different versions of xml), EDL export, and tweaking everything in Davinci's project settings (most people suggested playing with Conform Options, like Assist using reel names from the:"), and days of looking for a solution on the forums proved worthless. I couldn't find a single post with someone saying "this got my problem solved".

Deadline was approaching and the solution was nowhere in sight. I even contemplated the unthinkable: transcode all the footage again and see if that will work (and reedit everything...)

The answer to this nightmare was so easy I felt I was below amateur when discovered it.
I import the xml with these settings (only "Automatically import source clips into media pool" is unchecked since I have the original r3d files already imported into Media Pool).

Then, this maddening window pops up.

All the clips are imported into the timeline, but all are broken and don't show anything. Force conforming each clip in the timeline to the original in the media pool doesn't do the work, they all start in the wrong place. But when I did that I noticed a change int the Edit Index of the file I "force conformed". Look at before and after Force Conforming.

So there was obviously something wrong with the timecode of the proxies that I transcoded, i thought. All the proxies had absolutely different timecode than original R3Ds.

I opened up the metadata of the same r3d file in redcine-x (which I used to transcode the originals into proxies).

The r3d files have both Absolute and Edge timecode embedded; my proxies had Absolute timecode, while Davinci tried to use Edge timecode to link the files.

SOLUTION:
I created a new project in DaVinci and opened the Project setting tab. Change these first thing (not the solution to the problem but needed for these video files)

And then go to the Camera Raw setting tab, and do this (don't forget to choose RED as your RAW on the upper right corner here)

I guess, for some reason, when the "Camera" setting is sellected for Timecode, Davinci just chooses to read Edge code instead of Absolute. So changing the option manually does the trick.

After, import all your original footage into Media Pool, and import the .xml into timeline window, deselect "Automatically import source clips into media pool", and they should finally load and link correctly.

This explanation was way too long, but it made me feel so happy and dumb at the same time that I wanted to share this. Tell me if that helped.

Return to posts index

David Kosloski
on Oct 31, 2015 at 2:58:47 pm

I can't seem to get this to work. I followed your list but I got nothing. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 31, 2015 at 5:29:16 pm

Most times these problems can be traced back to the creation of the files at the very start of the process. If you are new to the process, or new to the camera being used, save yourself a lot of grief and run some tests. Transcode 2 or 3 clips. Bring them back into Resolve and check their timecode, and their reel name.

Send those clips to your editing application, check the timecode and reel names, do they match what you saw in Resolve? Perform 3 edits, and send it back to Resolve. If it doesn't link up, go back to step 1 and try and figure out what went wrong. Don't wait until your 15 hours worth of footage has been transcoded and edited before you decide to figure out if your workflow is going to work.

Lots of time people want to blame Resolve or Avid or Premiere for screwing everything up, but it is usually us who screwed everything up. The software simply becomes a patsy.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Saelee
on Apr 8, 2016 at 8:27:33 am

I had the same problem. As I'm on PC, I don't have the option to export prores proxy, so I was exporting with the MPEG4 video codec. After editing and exporting the XML from premiere, when I tried to import the XML it said the same:
"The clip ###### failed to link because the timecode extents do not match any clips in the media pool."

Here's the fix that worked for me.
Quick, basic version:
1. Download Avid Quicktime Codecs http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE
2. Restart computer just to be sure
3. Export proxies from Resolve with DNxHD codec

Or, the detailed version:

1. Downoad Avid Quicktime Codecs: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE
2. I also uninstalled quicktime and installed the latest version, though I doubt this affected it.
3. Restart computer
4. Open resolve, and in Project Settings, check that "Assist using reel names from the source clip filename" is selected
5. Export (individual source clips), using DNxHD codec
5. Open premiere, edit or relink all the files of previous edit if needed.
6. Export as XML
7. Import into Resolve
8. Profit.

Return to posts index

Alex Ya
on Apr 21, 2016 at 8:16:07 am

kill timecode from video files (non record files with timecode - best variant)

Return to posts index

Luc Vredegoor
on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:52:34 pm

Hi all,

Somewhat late response is this thread, but had the exact same issue and it was driving me nuts.
Was trying to import a EDL into Resolve 12.5 and also got the "Failed to link..." error.
Tried all of the possible solutions in this thread however nothing seemed to work (for me).
Then I remembered I came across a tutorial on how to export from Premiere to Resolve.
He mentioned that he also was unable to get the EDL to work, but he had a other solution:

He talks about it at +/- 7:45.

It's really easy! Just try to import a "pre-conformed EDL" by right-clicking in your Media-pool in Reslove.
Timelines-> Import -> Pre-Conformed EDL.
This fixed my problem. Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]