FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reslove 11 nle question

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Marty
Reslove 11 nle question
on Apr 12, 2014 at 6:18:38 pm

Resolve 11 has a default timeline bin in the browser.
What this timeline bin thing?

I know its not out yet so maybe some nab attendee can inform me.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: slove 11 nle question
on Apr 12, 2014 at 9:58:51 pm

It's a bin for sequences in the edit page.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
Re: slove 11 nle question
on Apr 12, 2014 at 10:24:33 pm

Could these be sequences from other projects?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Reslove 11 nle question
on Apr 13, 2014 at 6:48:04 am

I believe this is covered in the 5-minute YouTube video:

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Apr 13, 2014 at 3:44:18 pm

Thanks for the video very informative in general. To me it was not very clear about the timline bin but i think it referes to nesting project timelines.

Hopefuly this could be further developed into the ability to see other projects timelines and have the ability to impot them or section into current timeline. Also have the ability to see current timeline in thumbnailes so as to manilpulate the timeline much faste and easier.

Anywas I am sold into relove i will try it out and if its stable i will jump into it.

thank you

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Apr 13, 2014 at 6:41:58 pm

I'm not sure I would want to use Resolve as a NLE. There are way better options out there. Resolve is great for grading and now it is getting better for finishing. But it is not an editor and according to reports from their NAB stand they don't have any plans to make it a real editor.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Apr 13, 2014 at 6:48:17 pm
Last Edited By Ricardo Marty on Apr 13, 2014 at 6:53:26 pm

I currently use cs6 and i am looking for alternatives. Some who have been at nab. Have said. That ver 11 is quite capable, not that im goingto dive into it but i will try it out..
The video on .bm site also shows the new capabilities. Can you please tell me its why its not a good nle.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Apr 14, 2014 at 11:50:06 am

Quite capable is a matter of opinion. You supposedly can edit in Hitfilm 2 but I wouldn't want to edit in it. If you are looking for alternatives for editing, have you checked Lightworks? If I was looking for an alternative I would look into that.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:05:14 pm

lightroom is definatly in my tool bag and its used in some projects but all those floting windows make me feel uncomfortable.

But resolve looks more familiar and I think i would feel more at ease, plus having all that color correcton poweron hand makes it more atractive.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Apr 14, 2014 at 11:13:02 pm

[Ricardo Marty] "lightroom is definatly in my tool bag"

Lightroom?

I said Lightworks.

Looking at Resolve I don't think I would like to edit on it. But if you have the patience to edit with something like FCP-X then you may like it. If you want an alternative to Avid, Lightworks is it.

If I decide to move to another editing program I'm going to Lightworks for sure.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Apr 15, 2014 at 5:16:24 am

yea i meant lightworks. lightwavs,lightroom,lightscape,lightworks it can get confusing out there

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:27:36 am

Last time I checked the floating windows could be fixed in place if that's what bothers you.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 15, 2014 at 12:36:14 am

[MichaelMaier] "I'm not sure I would want to use Resolve as a NLE. There are way better options out there. Resolve is great for grading and now it is getting better for finishing. But it is not an editor and according to reports from their NAB stand they don't have any plans to make it a real editor."
That's my understanding as well. But I think the tools they have in v11 will work as a conforming platform, which I think is all they ever intended. I don't think their idea was that it would become another standalone NLE. I could see it replacing Symphony for some users, at least as a final rendering station.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 15, 2014 at 3:48:19 pm

[Marc Wielage] "I think the tools they have in v11 will work as a conforming platform, which I think is all they ever intended."

Whatever the application developer's intentions are, there is an entire population that has another agenda.

In working experience, the gulf between a successful project execution and a smoking crater is usually the project exchange (roundtrip). It is the single-most huge challenge in the collaboration. Depending on the personal esteem slash confidence issues that any one particular editor might have with exporting their efforts to another facility or even workstation but also application-- there are, without exception approaches and assumptions that have been made (and publishing a do's and don'ts is even less productive than an actual manual) because no one reads either, and the application is usually changing faster than we can find and dig up all the mines that are lurking in that particular field. So whether there are simply edit approaches that aren't supported (lots of nested sequences), or just improvised practices (cutting up a clip to execute speed and motion changes, which could be executed with keyframes but the editor didn't know how to do that) or layering on filters and plugins that at least up to this point are either not supported, invisible, or get corrupted in the XML modification... failure. And 3x the budget in cost and schedule to fix it. Which, obviously nobody wants.

99% of what we do really is pretty straightforward. Cuts and dissolves. Titles. Paste up some stills and KenBurns them. Roll the credits. On second thought, don't roll the credits... that really doesn't translate well between Universal, International and Domestic frame rates. I've never really argued against the use of, e.g. FCPX as a tool, who cares? It still does all the same stuff -- no one at home would have a clue. The difference is in the bins, and if anything resembling a point can be taken from this, the real strength of an NLE is not necessarily in what you can do on the timeline (as long as everybody else understands how that works) is offering the right choices to an editor, so the catalog is supporting the story. Its likely not well understood, but if I were to guess, that's really the puck that Apple was trying to skate to. Problem is that the ice is pretty thin around there.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]