FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Resolve 11 export optional subtitles with easy DCP plugin

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Halasz
Can Resolve 11 export optional subtitles with easy DCP plugin
on Apr 11, 2014 at 7:50:58 pm

Hey,

in Resolve 11 subtitles will be supported.

Does anyone know if it will also support optional subtitles? I can't find any info regarding this.

Thanks,

Adam

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Can Resolve 11 export optional subtitles with easy DCP plugin
on Apr 11, 2014 at 8:09:41 pm

How do you mean "optional" subtitles?

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 11, 2014 at 8:18:33 pm

Probably means something like language streams.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on Apr 11, 2014 at 8:27:13 pm

The lack of subtitles are a limitation of the easyDCP plugin for Resolve, not Resolve itself. Not sure that will be changing anytime soon..

Return to posts index

Adam Halasz
on Apr 11, 2014 at 8:38:56 pm

Hi,

no, I mean multiple subtitles. I saw that Resolve 11 will support subtitles. but if there's more than 1 subtitle file for 1 film (2 or more languages), what then?

So you guys apparently haven't heard anything regarding this...

Anyone asked this on NAB?

Thanks,

A

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 11, 2014 at 10:12:22 pm

[Adam Halasz] " but if there's more than 1 subtitle file for 1 film (2 or more languages), what then?"

DCPs don't have "subtitle menus"... you need to author a different package for each variation. In the case of relatively complex packages, I'd recommend hiring a proper DCP author.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Apr 12, 2014 at 7:54:53 am

Here we tend to "burn in" all the titles. As most of the festivals having problems with titling time to time.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box
Full Ligthspace CMS

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 12, 2014 at 4:54:41 pm

[Margus Voll] "Here we tend to "burn in" all the titles. As most of the festivals having problems with titling time to time."

We recommend this to clients as well. Not as flexible... but a lot more foolproof. The full version of easyDCP makes this easy — load the subtitle XML file, and you can either use it as a 'soft' subtitle track or have easyDCP burn it in while encoding the image.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Apr 12, 2014 at 8:01:38 am

So you did ask or hear about it ?

I was talking to Peter about that shorty some time ago.

Was wondering if that was changed / developed.

What i generally was thinking that some Spotting apps export XML etc metadata like
files in some sort of format. For some reason there is a ton of them.
So the files have all the parameters, size, placement etc.

I was wondering if Resolve could read them and populate subs on the most upper video track.
As those are titles so it is mostly just metadata and no actual video files it should
be simple to populate them on timeline. Same thing is don in NLE's.

And yes the question is if it could be used as burn in titles only or even pass it on to DCP in some form.

I ran in to this as local films are not english and every one that is made has to be titled
in some language or many. Premiere does not seem really good option for that at the moment.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box
Full Ligthspace CMS

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 13, 2014 at 5:39:17 pm

[Adam Halasz] "if there's more than 1 subtitle file for 1 film (2 or more languages), what then?"

Sounds like you should be generating a DCDI (possibly out of Resolve if you insist) and then authoring the DCP in a full-featured application -- next item on the agenda will then probably be KDMs and I for one don't want to be tying up my grade suite outputting DCPs.

jPo

Return to posts index

Adam Halasz
on Apr 14, 2014 at 6:06:02 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for the inputs. I can of course buy another DCP mastering tool, there wouldn't be a question if I would do that.

I think in the near future I think that will be the easiest solution to export your film directly from the grading software, that's why I'm interested.

With commercials and short films it is excellent so far, can't wait for the rest of the options to supplement these garding softwares to DCP mastering tools.

It's just MXF and XMLs after all...

Cheers

Adam

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 14, 2014 at 6:30:25 pm

[Adam Halasz] "It's just MXF and XMLs after all... "

I wish I could be that optimistic, but it is a little more complicated than that. For example, HTTPS 'open source' apparently seems to have some flaws in it after all, and similarly (but not exactly) the DCI recommended practice is being misinterpreted all the time. You haven't received any after-hours, day-before-the scheduled-exhibition phone call from yet another supposedly compliant theatre server just out of next-day FedEx range that unless you come up with something in the next couple of minutes your show's off, I assume. After that particular drive and version played a number of other festivals and theatres.

For example, naming conventions. There is a structure around that which seems to be based on FAT32 hierarchy... why, I don't know, but many validation metadata examiners don't check it. Because UUIDs are derived and internally cross-coded, its not something you can just revise in a text editor. It means a complete re-export. Ask me how I know this.

jPo

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 15, 2014 at 4:49:10 am

No one listens until they get burned. If you're lucky it's only a small one.

Return to posts index

Adam Halasz
on Apr 15, 2014 at 8:06:57 am

Hi,

@Joseph: yeah, actually I've been in this kind of predicament, literaly how you described it. DCP made with Clipster, copy MD5 checked, DCP checked in cinema room and still we had an ingest problem with the cinema server. Plus: it wasn't working on another continent. So I hear you.

It's not about optimism. We have tools now which are doing these bunch of XMLs correctly. I know the hierarchy and how the cpl and pkl are related also with the subtitle cpls, and I have a pretty good guess how you know it. :)

Of course you shouldn't change it with a text editor. :) like eating soup with a fork. I have a pretty good guess how you know this too...

You're right in everything but we're talking about apples and oranges.

You're saying how it works and I totally agree with it, and I'm curious about how it can work even simpler soon.

Let me put it this way: When you want to be as correct as possible for the DCP package, you have to export XYZ JPEG2000 (takes a lot of time since it is coding and there's no GPU support), and then run another round in another tool to make a DCP package, then ingest the DCP into another tool which is connected to your monitoring device. Would be nice to simplify this process a bit.

What I'm looking forward to: is we do this whole thing in one software where we can control the gamma, the LUTs, the color space and all other things correlated to how it will look in the cinema.

My thought about this: It will happen that we export DCPs from the grading software. With simple stuff it is already happening (commercials with 5.1 sound, short films). Nature of progress.

I was just simply curious in the beginning if anyone heard anything about more than 1 subtitle for a DCP in Resolve 11... That's it... :)

The rest is on the developing teams.

Cheers,

Adam

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 15, 2014 at 3:20:01 pm

[Adam Halasz] "My thought about this: It will happen that we export DCPs from the grading software. With simple stuff it is already happening (commercials with 5.1 sound, short films). Nature of progress."

Yes, someday Jerusalem.

(Chariots of Fire theme begins playing in the bg)

Titles fade up: Resolve XXX... not just Smoke, not just Mirrors...

All formats, All the time. Every "what were you thinking" kludge that an offline editor has duct-taped to a timeline because they didn't know how the software worked...

The Living End.

Fade out.

jPo

Return to posts index

Adam Halasz
on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:13:36 pm

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

A

Return to posts index

michael stirling
on Apr 18, 2014 at 12:29:37 pm

We completed our first DCP with subtitles in the FULL version of easyDCP recently and it wasn't plain sailing so I'm not holding out for things to just work in Resolve11. It seems pretty straight forward to create multi language versions from within the full version (both audio and subs) but I wonder what would happen when they got out into the world.

Michael.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]