FORUMS: list search recent posts

Renders slowing down massively on Macbook Pro i7

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Turner
Renders slowing down massively on Macbook Pro i7
on Apr 3, 2014 at 8:27:40 pm

Hi all,

Having a very strange issue which I hope someone will be able to help me with.

When rendering/transcoding, my Macbook Pro (2.3GHz i7, Resolve Lite 10.1, OSX 10.9.2, 16GB RAM, ATI Radeon 6750M) starts off at a fairly reasonable speed (around 15-20FPS when rendering PR422HQ > MXF), but then gradually slows to around 5FPS and stays consistently at that.

CPU is idling at around 20%, and RAM less than half.

I've run tests on an almost identical spec machine, and speed has been consistently around 15FPS, so there's definitely something wrong.

GPU processing set to auto, latest CUDA drivers etc (not sure why this is even there as I don't have an NVIDIA card, but anyway).

Any ideas why Davinci wouldn't be using all of the CPU, or at least significantly more? It's currently a real problem as I often use it for transcodes on set (one of the only things that will do Avid MXF correctly).

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
Re: Renders slowing down massively on Macbook Pro i7
on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:35:16 pm

Are you sure you're not running hot? I have seen this problem on my MBP Retina, and it's helped by simply pointing a fan at it.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Dan Turner
on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:41:54 pm

Hmm actually that is a good point - I have had an issue with the fans maxing out easily on this machine, ended up being due to dust wads in the fans...

I'll do some more tests, it could be that the fans are trying to cool the GPU not the CPU, so limited by that, wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks for the suggestion Joakim.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Apr 4, 2014 at 4:46:04 am

You seem to have ATI radeon in your machine so there is no cuda support.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box
Full Ligthspace CMS

Return to posts index

Dan Turner
on Apr 7, 2014 at 1:57:52 pm

Thanks Margus, yes I'm not sure why it even gets installed, I think BMD does it automatically?

Ok - so to update any interested parties; I ran some more tests and Joakim's suggestion worked - I took the machine apart, blew out all the dust (particularly around the fans) and re-did everything.

It came in correctly; around 12FPS, which is about right - so try that if anyone is running into the same issue, or it seems particularly sluggish.

As a side-note, nothing ever maxes out in Davinci (CPU was still at 20%, Ram at 30% etc), I'm guessing that this means it's a GPU holdup, but without any way to tell how much load it's putting on the GPU it's hard to tell.

Thanks again.
Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]