FORUMS: list search recent posts

How would you grade this shot?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Tyrrell
How would you grade this shot?
on Mar 30, 2014 at 6:30:05 pm

I recently shot a dancer in a studio, not the best studio, I really wanted a pure white backdrop but unfortunately there was some marks on the wall etc.
Just want to get some opinions really on what you would do with this shot in terms of grading:

I did have a quick go and came out with this:

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: How would you grade this shot?
on Mar 30, 2014 at 6:51:27 pm

Seems a bit under exposed it ?

I would make skin tones a bit more lively.

Whites also do not seem to be cleanest.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box
Full Ligthspace CMS

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 30, 2014 at 7:26:04 pm

might want to window the dancers face to control him separate from the background. How much is he moving?

And yes, push the bg more.

Maybe blast the background and see if you can pull a key from the difference in that white bg and the dancer, than work on them individually.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 31, 2014 at 4:51:08 am

This is why seamless cycs and large studios exist. It's very hard to create that effect when you're 7 feet away from the background and there's all kinds of lines and crud on the wall. A tracking power window could help, but it's never going to look great; it'll be more of a repair job, a bandaid on something that needs stitches and a tourniquet.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 31, 2014 at 6:46:29 pm

Depending on the camera format (noise/quantizing error/bit depth) -- push like crazy. It does look like its about 1 or 2 stops under for starters, so banding is likely going to become a boundary condition for what is possible.

Maybe this will start falling into a stylization, but if you want a white limbo, you will have to crush the background. I doubt that you will be able to pull a clean secondary qualification and any kind of power window is going to involve a ton of roto/tracking. I would try a power curve that flattens out the set corners, combined with both a luminance only (or +chrominance limited if flesh tones go dirty) and a loose, soft power window for cleanup that mostly emulates a big follow-spot. Primary correction node should "open up the lens" and maybe even exaggerate color a bit, so that you can take it away later if you should so decide.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Mar 31, 2014 at 8:34:34 pm

Working in Resolve...

1-create a mixer node
2-in the layer mixer, change the composite type to ADD
3-add a node after the layer mixer and saturate to taste

this pretty much washes out the background, no detail

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved