FORUMS: list search recent posts

Applying a LUT to C300 dailies

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elizabeth Perlman
Applying a LUT to C300 dailies
on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:50:40 pm

Very new to LUTs, have done some research, but I want to make sure I'm not misusing them as many are prone to do these days.

I'm creating auto-synced dailies in Resolve and exporting 422 HQ files for the editor to use in Final Cut. She ultimately does not want to do any reconforming, so the dailies are essentially the "raw" files we will be sending to the colorist. Would applying a LUT in DaVinci actually alter the file destructively? Or is it just used as useful information to help the colorist.

I realize you can apply a LUT in Final Cut and remove it before sending it out, but I'm assuming if I'm exporting out of DaVinci, I can't really remove it after that.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Applying a LUT to C300 dailies
on Mar 28, 2014 at 10:40:23 pm

Hello Elizabeth,

It would be destructive to appy a LUT in DaVinci and leave it active for the export. From a colourists standpoint I would recommend either not adding a LUT and then using one in the offline NLE during the offline, or using a LUT to create offline transcodes for use in the edit and then conforming back to the original files for the grade. The latter is the easiest it has ever been, and if the offline is handled and prepared with a little care it can even be a 1-click process in DaVinci to reconform to the source files.

A dirty alternative is to apply LUT and then increase the lift and gamma a little and lower the gain a little to get a flatter image (somewhere between log and normalised but closer to normal). This would look OK for the offline and would also give the colourist some latitude to play with in the grade. I would not recommend this workflow and if used I would note down the figures used (lift gamma gain figures) so the colourist could essentially undo them and get back to the LUT'd image if they wanted to.

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Perlman
Re: Applying a LUT to C300 dailies
on Apr 2, 2014 at 5:11:10 pm

Thanks for clarifying!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]