FORUMS: list search recent posts

DaVinci Resolve - work around for copying color without blowing away tracking.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernest Savage
DaVinci Resolve - work around for copying color without blowing away tracking.
on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:49:41 am

I'm working on DaVinci Resolve 10.1. I've build some complex node structure, and I'm now a little nervous about changes when the client comes. For example, I'm adding light spills from windows across a room in one scene. The camera is always moving, so I tracked out a power curve for each shot in the scene. If the client wants to change the color of the light spill, and I adjust it in one shot, how do I quickly copy that correction to the other shots in the scene without blowing away the individual tracking and keyframing in each scene?

The light spill and the power curve are on the same node. Should I be creating 2 nodes, one with the power curve that some how mattes the color on another node? My cumbersome fix is to create an outside node from the power curve, then a second outside node from the first outside node, and color that second outside node. However the matte is isn't perfect, some of the softness shifted. I can get away with it, but there has to be a better work around for this.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: DaVinci Resolve - work around for copying color without blowing away tracking.
on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:02:33 pm

You should be able to create a new node that controls the color of that light spill.
You could then do a few things.
Copy that node, go to each shot that needs it, create a new node at the same spot, and past in your clipboard node.

or

Create your color node for the spill
grab a still
delete everything but the spill color node
grab another still
reapply your original still to the shot

you now have a still with just the spill color settings, which you can append to any node in your project.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Eli Bierwag
Re: DaVinci Resolve - work around for copying color without blowing away tracking.
on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:23:06 pm

I initially thought the copy and paste method was the solution, but if you do that, it will also copy the tracking. This user is trying to MAINTAIN his complex tracking of windows, while copying the grade adjustments within the windows from one clip to the next.
I feel in my bones there is an easy answer to this, but I can't summon it. I will try more caffeine and get back to you.

Return to posts index

Danny Thompson
on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:22:02 pm
Last Edited By Danny Thompson on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:27:24 pm

Glenn, your answer doesn't really cover what Ernest is asking, he's trying to find ways to keep his matte and adjustment separate.

Making your mattes come in from other nodes is best practice when you have grades with multiple mattes. Making an outside node then inverting the input key of the outside node is one way. But for big complicated grades it's easier if you have the mattes come in from independent nodes.

http://i.imgur.com/Gfzo1Dr.png

In this graph the mattes come from the lower left and go out to everything else that needs them. They don't have grades on them and their output image doesn't connect to anything, just the mattes. I can pipe the mattes into all the other nodes that will need them. My process to get a graph like this started is:

1. select first node, shift-s to make a node before it
2. opt-K to append a node
3. pipe the matte from the new first node to the last node, move the first node lower and out of the way
4. invert the input key on the last node
5. delete the image connection between first and second nodes. connect second node to the input.

After that I can shift-s new nodes at the head of the chain in the mattes, create new nodes etc without breaking the node graph. I can add keyframes to anything without messing up the relationship between the grade and the matte. And everything becomes more reusable.

This kind of workflow is critical when you have qualifiers that have really tight tolerances, since any changes earlier in the chain can mess it up. It also makes it much easier to see what is being matted and where those mattes are ending up.

Return to posts index

Ernest Savage
on Mar 19, 2014 at 5:39:30 pm

Thanks you guys. That is the trick, create you tracking on one node. Create another node. Pipe the tracking with the blue arrow to second node, invert key, and color that node.

Thanks, I knew there was a way.

Return to posts index

Ernest Savage
on Mar 19, 2014 at 5:42:57 pm

Danny, I'm going to play with the node structure you sent in the png. Looks like my matting is going to have to get a little more sophisticated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]