FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Resolve 30fps - 25fps Premiere roundtrip with proxies

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yvette Paxinos
Davinci Resolve 30fps - 25fps Premiere roundtrip with proxies
on Mar 15, 2014 at 6:31:57 pm

Hello,
Does anyone know a good workflow for conforming 30fps - 25fps in Davinci (for semi - slow motion) and round tripping between Davinci and Premiere?
I have mixed 2k / 4k blackmagic files that I need make 25fps proxies then online it and round trip back to Premiere for added effects after the final grade.

Currently I have imported an XML from a 25fps FCP timeline with footage that is natively 30fps and changed the clip attributes to be 25fps. This is to render out graded proxies with the embedded timecode to allow for a smooth online later but when I render out as individual source clips the files all freeze frame 3/4 of the way through the footage. So I get the whole length of a 30fps conformed to 25fps video but the last quarter of it is stuck on a freeze frame..

Should I just export 30fps proxies and edit in Premiere at a 25fps frame rate? Only trouble I had with that before is Davinci doesn't recognise when premiere has interpreted 30fps as 25fps and I get random in+out points.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated thanks!

+++
Yvette Paxinos

Return to posts index

Iain Bonner
Re: Davinci Resolve 30fps - 25fps Premiere roundtrip with proxies
on Jun 26, 2014 at 11:57:42 am

Hey Yvette !

Did you discover how to bring 30fps into 25fps premiere pro cc timeline ?? I'm using black magic pocket cinema files. Have brought them directly in, as premiere can now recognise dng but having trouble playing them slightly slow in 25fps timeline. Seems to be dropping frames at the moment.

All the best !

Iain

Return to posts index

Yvette Paxinos
on Jun 27, 2014 at 1:34:50 am

Hi Iain.
I dragged the footage into the bin and conformed to 25fps (right click on the footage in the bin > Modify > Interpret footage: assume this frame rate 25fps). Do this to all your clips by selecting them all at once and performing this task.

Then right click on the clip and make new sequence from clip.
This will give you a sequence that matches your clip settings.

If you are round tripping between Davinci Resolve and Premiere it got a bit tricky for me here but I exported an EDL and graded the whole takes in Davinci (export separate clips) then relinked with the graded footage back in Premiere. Make sure your footage is conformed to 25fps in Davinci too.

This helps if you don't want a linear edit to work with in post but takes up a load more space..

+++
Yvette Paxinos

Return to posts index

Iain Bonner
on Jun 27, 2014 at 2:45:40 am

Hey thanks Yvette !!!

Sweet. That is so simple : )

I was planning on round tripping to davinci too. So you exported the edl, and then connected the clips in davinci, but you had to grade the whole take ? you weren't able to export a final graded file out of davinci ?

All the best

iain

Return to posts index

Yvette Paxinos
on Jun 27, 2014 at 4:08:36 am

Yes you can export a flat graded edit out of DaVinci but keep an eye on the in+out points. I had issues with Davinci not recognising the conform from Premiere but taking the native file settings (30fps). You could edit with conformed 25fps in the first place?
That would mean you'd have

1 x batch of your original 30fps footage
1 x batch 25fps conformed footage to edit and grade with - allowing you to maintain edit integrity when round-tripping
and your final flat render.

+++
Yvette Paxinos

Return to posts index

Iain Bonner
on Jun 27, 2014 at 5:48:41 am

hey Yvette.

Oh man this is getting tricky again. I tried bringing an edl in and yeah davinci was looking at it as if its 30fps, dropping frames and changing in/out points, some to good humorous effect.

So would you make the conformed 25fps in davinci or premiere ? In davinci i can't quite work out how to do it... And if in premiere you would then have to export everything out ?

Sorry for all the questions, i just want to work out this workflow, so i can actually get to work !

All the best,

Return to posts index

Yvette Paxinos
on Jun 27, 2014 at 6:13:38 am

I would do the conform in Davinci and keep it in the blackmagic family so any data problems you might have are dealt with better. BUT the thing is from memory I still had a problem with rendering out a conformed clip from Davinci. It gave me a hold frame for the last quarter of the clip..

Try it in Premiere and render the same codec.

Or maybe there's a way to change the timebase in the clip's metadata to play 25fps? This is what Davinci is reading and why your edit is slipping..

+++
Yvette Paxinos
http://www.paxifilm.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]