FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it worth bothering with a Dell, or should I custom build a workstation for Resolve?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MichaelMaier
Is it worth bothering with a Dell, or should I custom build a workstation for Resolve?
on Mar 13, 2014 at 1:45:02 pm

The question is pretty much in the title.

I'm wondering if something like a Dell T3610 would be worth it or if I should build my own. I always had the feeling these mass produced workstations just used the cheapest parts. But somebody who has this Dell says it's great. I know a HP Z820 would be the recommended workstation but this is many times my budget.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Is it worth bothering with a Dell, or should I custom build a workstation for Resolve?
on Mar 13, 2014 at 3:14:31 pm

Try Resolve Basics and Configuration forum.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: Is it worth bothering with a Dell, or should I custom build a workstation for Resolve?
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:54:38 pm

You wont have the configuration options especially with the Video cards with a Dell system. The media you use will decide the ideal specs with Davinci. However you really will want a 780TI or Titan card if possible depending on your media. Atleast a 6 Core 4930K and 32GB of ram would be the other specs. Remember the PSU's in those systems are often not load capable for 1 especially 2 of the higher end cards. They are often proprietary as well which means you cant after market swap them. The video card would most like have to be After Market swapped as well. You are correct that pricing of the hardware is a major consideration by the OEM's. The Enthusiast hardware will always be more expensive but give the best options and performance.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:37:37 pm
Last Edited By MichaelMaier on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:58:55 pm

Thanks Eric. I think I have pretty much given up going with Dell or any mass produced PC. I will build my own.

The media format I will be grading is 1080p 10-bit 422 ProRes and DNxHD. I'm not doing any 4K at the moment and don't see me doing for the next year or two.

I wanted to build a workstation based on the recommended Asus P9X79 Pro. But the place where I get my PCs build does not stock it. Only the P9x79. Do you know if it absolutely a must be the Pro version? It seems to be basically the same board, only the P9X79 has 3x PCI Express 3.0 x16 and the P9X79 Pro has 4x PCI Express 3.0 x16.

Then I was thinking going with a single graphics card with one of these options: Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5, GeForce GT 640, 2GB DDR3, GeForce GT 630, 4GB DDR3.

i7-3820 4x6.60Ghz for CPU.

I use a Decklink SDI for monitoring.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Mar 14, 2014 at 9:11:20 am

If getting an nvidia card you need a GTX model.

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Mar 14, 2014 at 1:58:44 pm

Thanks. What is the technical reason?

Is ATi or AMD absolutely fine by the way? I had a lot of problem with ATi in the past with other programs.

I know Resolve doesn't support AMD processors. But what about graphics cards?

Any idea about the motherboard question, P9X79 Pro vs regular P9X79?

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Mar 14, 2014 at 2:00:33 pm

By the way I have a GTX560 now and it doesn't seem to be doing the job. So I guess only being GTX is not enough?

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Mar 14, 2014 at 7:21:16 pm
Last Edited By EricBowen on Mar 14, 2014 at 7:29:51 pm

Yes the P9X79 board is fine. Also don't get the AMD card. Get the 760GTX 4GB card or the 770GTX 4GB card. Those would be far better.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Mar 15, 2014 at 11:33:34 am

Thanks Eric. The GTX 760 seems affordable enough. Any ideas if the GTX 750 would also work or is it too old to bother?

Are you running the P9X79 or know somebody running it and have it working? Or you are going by the specs alone?

At any rate it's good to know it will also work. I was afraid it wouldn't work like is the case with the P9X79 WS.

What system are you running Resolve on by the way?

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Mar 15, 2014 at 5:12:25 pm
Last Edited By MichaelMaier on Mar 15, 2014 at 5:17:02 pm

And if I would decide going with two graphics cards, would it be fine to go with a GTX760 4GB and something lower like a GT640 2GB or GT630 4GB for the second card? And is having two graphics cards recommended with the P9X79 keeping in mind I will have to use an Intensity Pro or DeckLink Mini Monitor? Thanks!

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:55:20 pm

I run a E5-2697 V2 12 Core Xeon with a 770 4GB card. That handles 4K at half resolution fine. Yes we use the P9X79 here for audio systems so I am very familiar with it. Doesn't have the best slot layout for Video so we use something else. I would also suggest you only get another 760GTX card or higher if you get a 2nd card. Don't bother with a lower card with Davinci.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Mar 19, 2014 at 9:44:28 am

[EricBowen] "Yes we use the P9X79 here for audio systems so I am very familiar with it. Doesn't have the best slot layout for Video so we use something else."

I see. But I guess you did try Resolve 10 with it and it worked normally, since you mentioned the P9X79 is fine?

What is the problem you see with the slot layout?

By the way, not doing 4K yet over here. Only 10-bit 422 1080p HD for now.

And thanks for being the only person from the whole forum replying to this thread. I truly appreciate it.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:05:58 pm
Last Edited By EricBowen on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:07:29 pm

I have not tested Resolve on that exact Asus board but the P9X79 Pro version and it works fine on that. No reason it wouldn't work fine on the Regular version if the Pro works. The P9X79 has a PCI slot which is pointless for video and 1 less 16X slot which would be important for expansion. That is why it is a much better fit for audio than video. It also has less Sata ports so that was another reason we didn't use it for video. Keep in mind if you can afford the Asrock Extreme 9 or the Asus WS version then you would be able install E5 V2 Xeons into that board. That is a big deal if you get over 1080 media later.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

MichaelMaier
on Mar 20, 2014 at 3:03:30 pm

Thanks. I thought you had tested it when you said it would work fine. Just because it's a P9X79 doesn't mean it will work though. For example, the WS version, or the P9X79 WS doesn't seem to work as reported by many users in this forum because it has no PCIe lane which is not shared. So some who bought it couldn't get it to work.

About the Asrock, I'm hesitating going with other than an Asus P9X79 because this is the only one Blackmagic tested.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]