FORUMS: list search recent posts

davinci resolve dcp subtitling

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Halasz
davinci resolve dcp subtitling
on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:49:24 pm

Hi guys,

I just purchased the Easy DCP plugin for Davinci Resolve 10 and now I have a project which needs to subtitled, even maybe more than 1 language. Since Resolve doesn't support subtitles, I'd like to know if anyone has a solution or a "proper" workaround to create a DCP with Resolve with subtitles?

And which is not rendering the subtitles in a sequence and put on it additively...

Any good XML solution?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: davinci resolve dcp subtitling
on Mar 13, 2014 at 3:12:43 pm

There are some XML editors like CineCanvas that will help you re-package the DCP integrating your subtitle text stream.

But it seems like its an authoring issue outside the scope of the Resolve plugin.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Mar 14, 2014 at 12:04:31 am

You don't really need to repackage the DCP. If you have a DCP you're happy with, you can create supplemental packages for each language, which contain only the subtitles, and reference the audio and video tracks from the original DCP. These supplemental packages are quite small and quick to create.

Most DCP authoring systems (CineAsset, EasyDCP, etc.) can create supplemental packages.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Adam Halasz
on Mar 14, 2014 at 7:09:01 am

Hey guys,

thanks for the responses. But what about encrypted DCPs? Will these work with encrypted DCP which have kdm?

@Joakim: these are seems to options with spending money again for a whole new DCP mastering solution. I'd like to have something supplemental for the existing configuration.

I mean make Resolve 10 with the Easy DCP plugin enable to create a DCP with subtitles.

Thanks,

Adam

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 14, 2014 at 6:16:45 pm

[Adam Halasz] "I mean make Resolve 10 with the Easy DCP plugin enable to create a DCP with subtitles."

And then you would have an $8000 DCP authoring application with a free colorgrade package.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Mar 15, 2014 at 12:35:07 am

You can make supplemental packages for encrypted DCPs, yes. I'm slightly uncertain if the supplemental packages also need to be encrypted, or if they don't have to be.

With all due respect, yes, you need a DCP mastering solution to do DCP mastering. Resolve is not a DCP mastering solution, it's a very capable color correction and finishing system that happens to be able to export very basic DCPs with quite a few limitations. If that works for you, that's great, but it's not a DCP mastering solution.

I would never use Resolve to master the DCP for a feature film, there's way too little control. I see Resolve's DCP export as useful maybe to make a quick DCP to take to a screening room somewhere to check, or maybe to make DCPs for some commercials and trailers, which are extremely simple. But it's nowhere near what you need for feature film DCP mastering.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Mar 15, 2014 at 4:28:02 pm

Joakim,

what essential features would say that the resolve plugin is missing ?

thanks
g

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX580+GTX5800+GTX580
24GB RAM
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Panasonic BT300 Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index