FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems importing an XML project which was generated in Premiere Pro CC

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Malamatinas
Problems importing an XML project which was generated in Premiere Pro CC
on Mar 8, 2014 at 5:06:29 pm

Hi,

I'm currently learning Resolve and I'm currently reading manual section regarding conforming projects and testing as I read. In this case I'm trying to import a project using an XML file I generated in Premiere Pro CC.

I've run into a couple of problems that I didn't expect. First, because I had renamed my clips in Premiere Da Vinci could not automatically find them and I had to Force Conform every clip. Is this the correct way? I had renamed the clips for simplicity during the edit, however if doing so causes problems with conforming in future I would not bother (I thought on import it would use the actual clip file-name, not the Premiere name).

The additional problems I have is that one clip which in Premiere has an opacity key applied to it gets imported into Resolve as a freeze frame, but when I remove freeze-frame from the speed options the clip disappears from the timeline. I wasn't expecting the opacity effect to get imported but I did expect the clip to remain on the timeline with the correct in/out points.

I have also encountered a clip whose in/out points have been imported incorrectly.

On the whole a not very successful first import! I'm just trying to find out if I went wrong, or if I simply need to conform in a different way?

Thanks,
James

Return to posts index

James Malamatinas
Re: Problems importing an XML project which was generated in Premiere Pro CC
on Mar 8, 2014 at 5:11:16 pm

To expand on the above, I have looked at the XML itself and the of the clips does actually have the correct file path and clip name, which make me more confused as to why Da Vinci did not detect the files either; Automatically, or when I when a selected the folder in which they're contained.

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Mar 8, 2014 at 9:45:47 pm

Premiere has notoriously bad XML output. It does not work well with Davinci. You might have more success exporting the xml then importing that same xml into Final Cut Pro (unless you're on a PC) then export another xml from FCP. This has worked for me at times. If I still have problems then I just export out the entire project as a single file and then import it into Davinci using it's cut detector. That's what I had to do on this current project I'm son since all the media was handed to me as AVCHD files which is not supported in Resolve. So far that's been the easiest route.

OSX 10.8.5
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro 3,1 Early 2008, 20 gig of ram
Aps: Adobe CC , FCP Suite, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

James Malamatinas
on Mar 10, 2014 at 8:49:05 am

Thank you both for the replies. I am using a PC so no Final Cut option I'm afraid, the Resolve Automatic Cut detector is pretty good though so I'll definitely try that and can put switch to manual where necessary, kind of a pain that the two programs don't work nicely, although this could just be a bad case. I'll try exporting a few other projects and see the results.

Mark, thanks for your advice - I won't be renaming any other clips! I figured originally that everything would be done on file name rather than clip name, but as you say the additional simplicity for me is not worth the issues it causing with the software!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 9, 2014 at 9:28:58 am

[James Malamatinas] "I had renamed the clips for simplicity during the edit, however if doing so causes problems with conforming in future I would not bother (I thought on import it would use the actual clip file-name, not the Premiere name)."
Don't ever rename the clips. You can change or add to the metadata all you want, but don't screw around with the clip file names. Very bad idea. Simplicity to you is not simple to databases that need accurate pointers and file paths.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]