GTX Titans in Cubix

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Tomkins
GTX Titans in Cubix
on Mar 5, 2014 at 11:03:04 am
Last Edited By Toby Tomkins on Mar 6, 2014 at 8:26:21 am

Hello,

I hope you're all well! Is anyone using multiple GTX Titans in a Cubix (four double-width Cubix, aka Desktop 4)?

If so are you finding diminishing returns after 2 or 3 cards?

From what I understand the best Cubix is PCIe 2.0 x16 so I imagine 2 Titans will saturate the bus. Edit: just found out the new Elite series supports gen 3.0. Anyone using it?

Thanks!

Edit: just found this;

http://www.cubix.com/sites/default/files/xprm85u-g3-fbs20140207.pdf

As that uses two 3.0 x16 connections do you think it could power 6 Titans?

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: GTX Titans in Cubix
on Mar 6, 2014 at 10:52:14 am

This expander is suitable and certified for our Linux systems that can use 8 GPUs. Unfortunately the Windows and Mac OS do not permit this many, nor six as you suggested.

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Mar 6, 2014 at 11:14:37 am

Does the Linux Liscense come with the full panels? I need the panels also so I take it the Linux license isn't an additional cost per-se?

If running a Linux workstation then this Cubix should work fine as it is certified (thanks For clarifying Peter!), however how does the perfomance in DaVinci scale with multiple titans over the two x16 gen 3.0 HICs? I can't seem to find any hard data on that.

Peter will you be at NAB?

Return to posts index

prathvish hegde
on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:06:57 pm

if you buy the panels you get 1 linux and 1 mac resolve licence.
we have a linux resolve with quadro4000(display),2 titans ,1 redrocket and a hba card in a supermicro chasis. the performance seems to be good (wish the titan black cards had come earlier).

prathvish hegde
colorist
(DaVinci Resolve and 2Kplus)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRPJQ3fIEoojI3JMa4rHKb9gqq8VeIZ81

Return to posts index

prathvish hegde
on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:09:32 pm

cubix seems to be a great option if you want to have a full blown (8gpu)system imho.

prathvish hegde
colorist

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Mar 7, 2014 at 11:16:19 am

Pratvish, could you tell me more about your experience with Titans in a Linux Resolve? We're considering 4 Titan Blacks for upgrading our Linux Resolve, but I'm curious about both performance and stability.

If you want to talk in private, we could do that too, let me know.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

prathvish hegde
on Mar 10, 2014 at 7:09:43 pm

hi Joakim,
sorry for the late reply. the experience with two titan have been good and the system is stable .we upgraded from one titan to two titans around 15days back and allseems to be well. would have loved to have the blacks but as we had already invested in one titan we had to go for the same version.

prathvish hegde
colorist

Return to posts index

samer mahmoud
on Jun 6, 2016 at 11:05:13 pm

hi prathvish hegde , may i bother you with some questions? thanks.
i have macpro 4,1 early 2009, 8 cores, 32 GB rams, Quadro K5000 4GB. looking to upgrade so i can work faster on resolve, was thinking to upgrade the mac to 12 cores (already have 2 xeon processoers, need to upgrade the firmware first) and i have 2 GTX titan super colocked EVGA.
how is that working for u in cubix? im talking about real time and how many nodes and the noise reduction thing.

thanks man

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Mar 7, 2014 at 6:31:39 am

yes i will be at NAB.. the linux config guide describes the 8gpu config... four GPUs per HBA to supermicro chassis is the only recommended 8GPU config, this SM is connected by 56Gbit Infiniband to a second SM that holds GUI, I/O etc....most of the hollywood guys use a config like this... as do hundreds around the world who want the full 8GPU power..... the linux license comes with the bmd panels, as does a second dongle for mac/windows, .

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Mar 7, 2014 at 9:45:47 am

Ok. Great. Thank you Peter. Hopefully I'll see you at NAB.

Does anyone know how well performance scales with Titans in a Cubix over a gen 3.0 HIC? Ie are over 3 titans per Cubix overkill as the bus is saturated, or are 4 cards running at 70% utilisation better than 3 running nearer 100%?

Return to posts index

Lee Niederkofler
on Mar 20, 2014 at 11:20:18 pm

"Does anyone know how well performance scales with Titans in a Cubix over a gen 3.0 HIC? Ie are over 3 titans per Cubix overkill as the bus is saturated, or are 4 cards running at 70% utilisation better than 3 running nearer 100%?"

I'd really like an answer on this!?

I'm currently using 3 Titans in the standard 4 cubix box on a Mac Pro 5.1. The performance
is ok, but after I upgraded from the 2nd to the 3rd Titan I didn't feel much difference. (Especially noise reduction wise)
So I'm not gonna buy a 4th card at the moment. (Config guide says max 3...)

I'd really like to know if theres much of a difference, because I dont know if I should buy a new Windows machine or the best old Mac tower (second hand with new cpus)...

Please Peter, if you can, I'd really appreciate an answer on this.
Thank you!
lee

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 8, 2014 at 6:59:34 am

So for Linux setup 2x SM is good option ?

It is a bit confusing to me as i have had idea always that there should be 3x SM for some reason.

Maybe i saw it on my dreams :)

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box
Full Ligthspace CMS

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Mar 8, 2014 at 3:44:13 pm

The config guide details all u need.

Return to posts index

Matt Louie
on Jul 10, 2014 at 10:21:07 pm

I know this thread is a bit old but wanted to get anyone's opinion on upgrading to a new graphics card related to this thread.

I have a Mac Pro (2012 tower) with cubix attached with currently 2 Quadro 4000's. My concern is only with coloring and transcoding in DaVinci resolve.

My current choice of purchase is the GTX Titan Super clocked (EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN SuperClocked 6GB GDDR5). I understand the limitations of the Mac OS with 2 gpus and PCIe 2.0. I want the best options available before my purchase currently given the latest release of the Titan Blacks, Titan Z, etc.

It's my understanding the Titan Black may add slight performance but adds firmware not beneficial to Mac Users. And the titan z is nice but not for the money since I'm still PCIe 2. I'm also trying not to justify buying a new Mac Pro since my system runs fine as is so the 3k Titan z doesn't seem worth it.

Anyone know of super clocked titan blacks or other suggestions for the cubix on Mac platform? I'm not a fan of Amd from what I've seen performance wise compared to Nvidia.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]