FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggested 2014 mac pro configurations for resolve?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Dee
Suggested 2014 mac pro configurations for resolve?
on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:02:21 am

I read some threads here a while back about which mac pro/GPU cards to order for using Resolve, but are there any new conclusions? It would be great to hear a best bang for the buck suggestion. Maybe even different suggestions for HD and 4K work, since not all of us are doing 4K at the moment. BTW I have full Resolve not lite.

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
Re: Suggested 2014 mac pro configurations for resolve?
on Feb 25, 2014 at 5:29:39 am

Hi Richard,

Check out this podcast:

http://coloristos.podomatic.com/entry/2014-01-20T11_55_53-08_00

It's a good summary of a bunch of testing.

As for myself, We've been playing with a 6-core and a 12-core "hero" nMP. I concur with their conclusion that the real "bang for your buck" system might be the 6 or 8 core, with upgraded GPUs. If it's powerful enough for what you need to do.

Cheers,

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Richard Dee
on Feb 26, 2014 at 8:29:18 pm

Thanks Kevin,

I listened to the podcast. Believe it or not I am now thinking of a 4 core with the D700 GPU's. They mentioned clock speed was important for some apps, more than number of cores. I figure the cheaper I can get the rig going the sooner I can replace it with a refresh or gen 2. Does anyone thinks this is a bad idea?

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Mar 25, 2014 at 12:42:26 am

Most of the apps you use are super-well multi-threaded, so no, not a good idea. buy an old 12 core 2012 Mac Pro on ebay, and add a really good graphics card. Will be many, many, many times faster and cost much, much less.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]