FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can mac see full GPU RAM of 4GB non flashed PC card? - Will it still run slower than flashed?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Ruffo
Can mac see full GPU RAM of 4GB non flashed PC card? - Will it still run slower than flashed?
on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:09:53 pm

I hear all kinds of contradictions. Wondering if some of the learned folks here have drawn any conclusions.

MacVidCards has smaller selection, and higher cost than going PC route - but at least you know it will work.

I have heard that non flashed cards do not use full 16 X mode, so are much slower. Still true? 4GB card will work at full RAM or not?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Can mac see full GPU RAM of 4GB non flashed PC card? - Will it still run slower than flashed?
on Feb 19, 2014 at 4:34:02 am

Deja vu, dude!

I've not seen non-flashed cards running at half speed, and I've run lots of non-flashed cards. CUDA has direct memory access and isn't limited by driver issues related to OpenGL or OpenCL.

http://JuanSalvo.com
http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Can mac see full GPU RAM of 4GB non flashed PC card? - Will it still run slower than flashed?
on Feb 19, 2014 at 9:46:42 am

They perform exactly the same..
They just don't boot...thats it

A slice of color...

Resolve 10.1.0.021
Colorist / VFX / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:37:07 pm

The comments you see are likely related to the PCI-E Gen 3. The Mac Pro's don't have PCI-E gen 3 slots which the newer cards use. I wouldn't worry about that though because the current GPU acceleration is not normally pushing a PCI-E Gen 2 16 X slot.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:51:54 pm
Last Edited By Robert Ruffo on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:52:39 pm

The final answer talking to the head of tech of a large post house down the block) is: Yes and No

Yes a PC card will run at full speed in OSX, but on the PC side (in Bootcamp) it will still act like a PCI 1.0 connection even in a 16X slot. In an older 2008 Mac Pro, a PC card will run in 1.0 mode under both OSs (not confirmed, as they have no more 2008s to check - but probably/rumor has it)

MacVidcards flashed cards also ensure that power draw is never dangerous, and that heat is reasonable for a Pro enclosure, which is more of a long term issue than short (he said they've had Pro burn-outs longer term with PC cards, and none with MacVidCards, but they may have really pushed the power thing too far - hard to say). Mac Vid Cards does limit power usage inside the card for cards certified to work without a PSU. Apparently, also, stability is just a bit better.

For me, I think it's better to have peace of mind than risk my expensive tower, and I use the PC side a lot wfor Pc-only software, so an extra $200 was not a very big issue. I tend to like the "cry-once" buying philosophy whenever possible, but that's just me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]