FORUMS: list search recent posts

Parallel vs Layer

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Glucksman
Parallel vs Layer
on Feb 18, 2014 at 5:07:02 am

Random question for you guys. How do you choose whether to use a layer node over a parallel node? Are there particular things you notice in shots that tend to influence your decision?
I default to parallel nodes but use layers on occasion, but that's almost always been an arbitrary decision--whenever I've switched back & forth on one shot, there hasn't been any huge difference between them. I may simply not be choosing the right shots to experiment with layers.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Parallel vs Layer
on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:06:29 am

Well, in the Layer Mixer, the different nodes have priority (the bottom input having priority over the top ones), and in the Parallel Node, the different nodes blend together equally. So they're different but similar. Alexis covers this pretty well in his Ripple Training videos, and on pp. 554-555 of the v10 manual. My take is: do whatever gets the job done fastest. You can always change a Parallel Node to a Layer Node and vice-versa later on.

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:32:33 pm

I believe I saw Alexis' video, I've just never been certain if there are particular qualities of a shot that make using one better than the other. I guess, as with so much of color correction, it's largely subjective.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:41:11 pm

[Jesse Glucksman] "I guess, as with so much of color correction, it's largely subjective."

Not so much... more like what are the concatenated effect priorities that you are trying to achieve?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Feb 21, 2014 at 7:18:29 pm

I had to look up "concatenated" to know what you meant. I think that may be my new favorite word.

But that goes back to my original question--what do you look for in a shot that helps you to decide between a layer node or a parallel node? Is it an analytical thing, or is it just a feeling you get that one is preferable in a given situation than the other?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 27, 2014 at 5:18:40 am

[Jesse Glucksman] "But that goes back to my original question--what do you look for in a shot that helps you to decide between a layer node or a parallel node?"
Gut instinct and experience. Not being sarcastic -- in my case, it's the truth.

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Mar 2, 2014 at 2:37:10 am

I don't find that sarcastic. Makes sense to me. That just means I need to experiment more.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]