FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve V10 feature requests

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Provost
Resolve V10 feature requests
on Feb 14, 2014 at 5:09:12 pm

Now that the dust has settled a little with V10.1.1 what do users want as incremental fixes / feature additions?
For me I would like:

Blurs: add x10 vertical/horizontal as they did to the blur to make it more visible so that it could be used to create streak flares etc.

Changing sequence: when I select a new sequence from the list (say I have two versions of same edit) playheads, track positions changes wildly. I woul like to be able to switch back and forth and have the play head where I left it.

Edit page next clip: if a track is locked, I cannot use up and down arrows to jump from clip to clip. It jumps to end of sequence.

http://www.filmandtvcolor.com | colorist | Los Angeles, CA

Twitter: @4kfinish

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
Re: Resolve V10 feature requests
on Feb 14, 2014 at 10:41:17 pm
Last Edited By Paul Provost on Feb 15, 2014 at 3:44:21 pm

forgot one

track node: ability to apply track node to a selected group of shots. then to entire track as well.

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
on Feb 15, 2014 at 4:06:11 pm

+1 on Paul's thoughts

Here are mine.

1. Add Flip / Flop to inspector in edit page. These are needed in the conform process when comparing to the offline. Clicking back and forth between the color page to do this is very cumbersome.

2. Add back Use Sizing from XML or add a toggle to the Edit Sizing sub menu in the Color Page. This feature was especially useful when dealing with split screen material that includes the whole image but is just scaled down as it's final position. That way we can color the clip full screen but also see how the clip looks scaled down in its final position. Not to mention just being able to to see what sizing has been applied to a clip.

3. New Power window features in v10 are great but are still lacking the ability to Add to one another, Subtract, Intersect etc without the use of a Key Mixer. This would be a time saver.

4. Give us the ability to select multiple points on a Power Curve Window and move them together. Just like one could do in compositing applications from 15 years ago (love you BM but this is half implemented).

5. We need fixes for the tracker not working correctly when a clip has a negative retime applied. Tracker needs to track forward when at the beginning of a clip regardless of whether or not a clip is reversed or not. Currently it needs to be tracked backwards!

6. If the clips has a flip or a flop applied this should Not Invert the Power Window Controls on the panel. Try doing this in font of somebody and making a fool of yourself because your taking it in the opposite direction of where you were try to take it.

7. Related to 5 and 6, if a clip has a rotation applied to it, resolve should know that it has it and not try to align the horizon level of a Power Window to it. This inevitable makes the Power Window crooked.

8. Scroll wheel in the Edit Page should zoom the playhead not scroll the timeline up or down. No need to reinvent the wheel here. Zooming is much more useful!

9. Resolve saves the window layouts and column sorting with the session or per user.

10. Better External Matte controls. In my experience try to zoom, pan or tilt a matte doesn't seem to work. Zooming isn't centered etc etc.

12. Add a highlight option to Log Grading so we can see where the range is affecting the image. That being said I ultimately would love to see the range controls like they are in Baselight and Scratch. Not only allowing us to select the luminance range but also the softness in the overlap of Lift, Gamma, Gain.

13. Keyboard shortcut for Log Grading (or make this part of the paid application) not 30K panel!

14. Keyboard Shortcut for Invert Power Window (or make this part of the paid application) not 30K panel!

15. Make a decision, either give us custom 3rd party panel mapping, a cheaper BM panel or at the very least a really well thought out Factory mapping. Current Elements mapping is very poor, sorry but in its current state its like Chinese torture!

All this being said thanks for all the hard work it is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 15, 2014 at 5:57:35 pm

[Harris Charalambous] "3. New Power window features in v10 are great but are still lacking the ability to Add to one another, Subtract, Intersect etc without the use of a Key Mixer. This would be a time saver.

4. Give us the ability to select multiple points on a Power Curve Window and move them together. Just like one could do in compositing applications from 15 years ago (love you BM but this is half implemented)."

You should be able to synthesize Boolean operations between power windows on the same node with the mask and invert controls that exist.

But I am with you with being able to "lasso" portions of a rotoshape -- this might be complicated because part of the code architecture may conflict with interactive tracking. For the moment if I have to roto anything, I exit the program and build one in SHAKE. Ancient, but allows me to create rock-solid, almost impossible tracking scripts with MochaPro and parent and boolean multiple shapes -- because things rotate, they revolve, they pass in front of and behind other things...

The stabilize mode also suffers from "rubbery" solutions, simply because it is a point tracker... even if the multipoint starts approaching a planar surface track, no real consideration is given to perspective.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
on Feb 15, 2014 at 6:43:05 pm

Hey Joseph, you can kind of make windows work with the existing controls but not nearly as easily as you can with the selection options in PS. I guess I would happy enough if we could just have an option to quickly gang the windows together, so they can move together. This would also save having to copy and past tracking data too. Sure it can be done with a key mixer but it adds quite a few more steps ( great when you are combining qualifications and windows etc).

As for being able to select multiple points on a power curve well if the code doesn't allow it then I hate to say it the code needs rewriting because its not very forward thinking especially considering the fact they just reworked the power windows in V10. You could do this in combustion way back when.

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Feb 15, 2014 at 6:40:31 pm

1. Add Flip / Flop to inspector in edit page. These are needed in the conform process when comparing to the offline. Clicking back and forth between the color page to do this is very cumbersome.

YES +1

3. New Power window features in v10 are great but are still lacking the ability to Add to one another, Subtract, Intersect etc without the use of a Key Mixer. This would be a time saver.

5. We need fixes for the tracker not working correctly when a clip has a negative retime applied. Tracker needs to track forward when at the beginning of a clip regardless of whether or not a clip is reversed or not. Currently it needs to be tracked backwards!

YES, this qualifies as a bug fix, not a feature request in my opinion.

6. If the clips has a flip or a flop applied this should Not Invert the Power Window Controls on the panel. Try doing this in font of somebody and making a fool of yourself because your taking it in the opposite direction of where you were try to take it.

YES, this qualifies as a bug fix, not a feature request in my opinion.

8. Scroll wheel in the Edit Page should zoom the playhead not scroll the timeline up or down. No need to reinvent the wheel here. Zooming is much more useful!

YES. In fact, match keyboard and mouse functionality to FCP 7 better. This has regressed somewhat. Command+L used to link and unlink clips, but no longer? Defintely +1 on zooming functionality. Don't reinvent the wheel, take advantage of the immense user base who for better or worse have FCP7 keyboard shortcuts hardwired into their brains.

9. Resolve saves the window layouts and column sorting with the session or per user.
YES!

13. Keyboard shortcut for Log Grading (or make this part of the paid application) not 30K panel!
15. Make a decision, either give us custom 3rd party panel mapping, a cheaper BM panel or at the very least a really well thought out Factory mapping. Current Elements mapping is very poor, sorry but in its current state its like Chinese torture!

Yes, for the love of god yes. I work at my own studio and also freelance at other spots. Buying a Full set of panels for every place that I work out of is not a valid option. The current situation with the panels and keyboard/ panel mapping is just insane. This is truly terrible and infuriating way way to segment the product line. If need be, charge more $ more more features, that makes perfect sense, but don't cripple non panel users in weird ways by making the user experience horrible.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:15:37 am

[Harris Charalambous] "4. Give us the ability to select multiple points on a Power Curve Window and move them together. Just like one could do in compositing applications from 15 years ago (love you BM but this is half implemented)."
Call me crazy (and many do), but I'd love something as simple as being able to drop in a couple of points on an existing circular power window just to finesse it a little bit more without having to redraw a Power Curve from scratch. I'm all about getting it done faster.

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
Re: solve V10 feature requests
on Feb 18, 2014 at 1:52:53 pm

[Marc Wielage] Call me crazy (and many do), but I'd love something as simple as being able to drop in a couple of points on an existing circular power window just to finesse it a little bit more without having to redraw a Power Curve from scratch. I'm all about getting it done faster.

Actually Marc, not crazy at all! Baselight does this and it's great. Additionally I would add that I would also like the option to curve the top edge of the Gradient Power window, so it isn't a straight edge, blends nicer on some shots and saves having to use a circular power window.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:36:53 am

I'm actually at a loss trying to think of any other color grading software, that DOESN'T allow adding more points to the existing window. Nope, Resolve is the only one:-)

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Feb 15, 2014 at 6:31:34 pm

+1 for edit page request. e.g. up down arrow should go to next shot even if track is locked. Current implementation forces me to keep all tracks unlocked at all times which nullifies the point of having locks.

best
-Nat

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Feb 15, 2014 at 11:39:38 pm

keep 'em coming!

Return to posts index

Andrew Shtern
on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:55:26 am

First of all, i'm wandering, is someone from BM really consider our thoughts? Let's hope so. But the history of updates shows the contrary – they prefer to add new features despite of people needs. Easier to implement, not the most needed.

As of requests - i support all of them.
My 5 cents (both new features and bug fixes):

1) Add the ability to split screen with offline, while tampering with input sizing in Edit page;
2) Completely change principle of folder naming when rendering clips in separate folders. Add custom name, macro templates etc. I'm totally tired of this "Event_Version" BS. Custom naming of the clips in timeline would also be nice;
3) Get flags and markers in order. Show markers, that set on the first frame of the clip (now they're invisible). Respect XML timeline and clip markers;
4) When clip selected in timeline, pressing Delete deletes this clip, NOT it's source in media pool (this is soooo stupid);
5) PowerCurve and polygonal shape keyframes still doesn't work - you can animate size/pan/tilt/rotation, but not the shape of curve/polygon;
6) Unify controls for all power windows. Why is it impossible to change inner/outer softness of circular window, or the aspect of linear window? Is there any logical explanation to this???

That's all i can remember for now, but there's definitely more.
Let's hope, that we will be heard.

Andrew Shtern
Editor/Colorist
The Coffeepost @Kiev, UA

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
on Feb 18, 2014 at 2:04:06 pm

@Andrew
Great points! +1 on all of these! - But these ones especially.
2) Completely change principle of folder naming when rendering clips in separate folders. Add custom name, macro templates etc. I'm totally tired of this "Event_Version" BS. Custom naming of the clips in timeline would also be nice;

This would be great and I would go further and ask for us to be able to choose sequence starting number too. I can do this in adobe bridge or other basic renaming applications.

4) When clip selected in timeline, pressing Delete deletes this clip, NOT it's source in media pool (this is sooo stupid);

Completely agree on this one, it's so absurd that this is the default behavior!!!

As for BM listening, I'm not sure either. I sometimes think that they really are only interested in implementing the most basic version of a feature as opposed to actually adding the feature and completely rethinking its use, revolutionizing it! Making the best version of it on any platform. The current implementation of power windows is a prime example. Or taking blur to 100 but not horizontal / vertical blur to 100 as well.

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Feb 18, 2014 at 7:50:25 pm

I would like to be able to collapse a group of nodes into a "collection" to free up space for the node tree. For example : my first two nodes would be my base grade. Collapse them and move on. Next set is my "look" then any color adjustments after that. Kind of like a compound clip for nodes. If I need to open them up to make adjustments I simply double click. Also, I think parrellel nodes and layer nodes should look different since they don't actually do anything but connect to the other nodes. Maybe instead of the window node icon it's a circle.

Whadayathink??

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:24:19 pm

I don't know if BM listens.

On this forum we have experienced, trained users.

But the market for BM is primarily Vimeo kiddies buying cheap output cards for Resolve Light.

BM is trying to create "My First Color Grader" because 99% of their revenue/users are at that stage, and many will never move beyond that.

If you look at Baselight or Mistika, you see another approach, aimed exclusively at experienced, sophisticated users. Very, very powerful, but I doubt beginners not interested in investing real time and effort in learning not just the software, but advanced concepts as well, would have much fun using Mistika or Baselight.

The downside is, for that reason, Mistika and Baeslight will never have a huge user base, so they will always need to be very expensive.

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:27:37 pm

"Oh brother" (tm)

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:59:46 pm

Not "Oh Brother".

Resolve is a great tool, but now the focus of the product is split between very different types of users, so compromises are made differently, by necessity.

Other products with only one kind if user can develop in different, more focussed directions.

Its' even a hardware consideration. If a system demands only one specific hardware, then more functions can be put in, and tested on that specific hardware, and that exact hardware pushed to its exact, known limits. if you are supplying software that runs on thousands of different configs, then you may chose to make compromises that makes more features useable on more machines - aim for the middle in terms in quality vs. performance.

I'm not criticizing Resolve, I'm just saying that this is a fact - and explains why not all their choices make sense to many users in this forum.

Adobe is in the same conundrum, other more market specific systems are not - to BM and Adobe's credit, there are no easy answers to this problem.

E-on Vue solved this issue by offering very easy and very hard sections in their software, and that worked, but not all software are as easy to "split" like that.

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:45:35 pm

Folders for power grades

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:48:46 pm
Last Edited By Harris Charalambous on Feb 19, 2014 at 12:51:36 am

+1 on Folders for Powergrade.

A couple more

1. Select all Keyboard Shortcut for Timeline Thumbnails in Color Page

2. Blanking per clip with Presets. Currently only works on Output Sizing - Track level!

3. Render only Flagged or Sorted Clips (This Session) .

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:06:23 am

Offline marker in media pool

Better reconnect media function

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:39:30 pm

1. 1 click media manager for clips not being used in the timeline. Also for media backup for clips being used.

2. Keep the Inspector open on the edit page whilst still allowing Source and Record monitor to be open as well. Currently it closes the source viewer when the inspector is opened. Hard to match the offline like this. Forces you to jump to the color page for these kinds of adjustments.

3. Allow panel sizing to work whilst in the edit page.

4. Ability to copy transform settings from one clip to another - better yet copy and paste attributes with Checkboxes for the various attributes (transform etc etc).

5. Ability to Drag transitions from 1 clip to another. On the same note Copy and Paste a transition from 1 clip to another.

6. Option to have color wheels as default LGG as opposed to sliders.

7. Indicator for Still Frame being displayed.

8. Indicator for Bypass Grades Enabled, should also look different from Disable All Nodes Indicator.

9. Option for node to remember what the last adjustment was, so when you click on that same node it takes you back to that same adjustment tool. I.e Node 3 had Log adjustment last. I click on node 3 and I'm back to the log wheels. This may not work for everybody but it could be a very efficient workflow if you work with a structured node graph.

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Feb 24, 2014 at 12:15:58 am

Better key filtering tools - now all we have is blur/grow/shrink.

More sophisticated blur types option - like a true gaussian

HSL keying that would "prefer contiguous zones" like the color picker in photoshop.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:57:26 am

Harris, you're on fire today:-)
OK, just a couple for me.
1. In V9 3 way grading had 3 wheels and LOG mode had 4. So, it was easy to see the mode you're in. In V10 it's not easy to tell them apart any longer. Now both windows look exactly the same with 4 wheels. How about making 3WAY window to look a bit more different from LOG, so you'd be able to easily tell which mode you're in? How often you're trying to adjust Gain, only to realize, you're in the LOG mode?
2. The little dots on top of windows, like the curves windows or LOG/3Way windows are way to small and way too dark. How many of you would need to keep clicking on them before you select the proper window.
3. Proper render cache. Enough said…

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:15:44 am

Key frames:
ability to draw a selection box around multiple keyframes and hit delete.
fix bugs re having multiple powercurve windows in same node, tracked individually mixed with dynamic keyframes. it just doesn't work. you lock keyframe track on one power window, try to add keyframes to an additional window and it keeps adding marks to the locked window, but not the window you have selected. then you try to clear tracking data from one power curve window, and it clears the tracking for other power curve windows.
that kind of stuff.

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Feb 25, 2014 at 7:00:36 am

+ 1 to Paul's requests

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:03:54 am

@Jake - thank you, I was feeling a little inspired that day.

Agreed the log and primary wheels have confused me a number of times. If they could just move the Y Only Adjustment from the Primary slider panel to the Primary Wheels panel and do away with the primary slider panel altogether that could be a solution. On the note of differentiating things Clip and Track mode could use a little work too. I.e The word TRACK could be in a different color (Orange) or something, that way it is a clearer when we are in that mode.

+1 to Paul's thoughts - especially the keyframe note. Trying to click on the tiny keyframe is a true exercise in patience.

I would add a couple more thoughts to his of similar note

1. Create the ability to Lasso multiple nodes and delete them. Right now you have to Delete 1 Node at a time, its incredibly painfully when you need to delete a few nodes from multiple clips. Better yet also allow the ability to command click multiple nodes and delete.

2. Create the ability to Lasso a selection of stills in the Still Store and more importantly in the Gallery Page so they can be dragged and dropped into the current project or moved, deleted etc.

3. Moving the dividing line between the Video Tracks and Audio Tracks in the Edit page does not hide the video tracks closest to the divider but instead moves them up. I.e if I need to make room so I can see more audio tracks I click and drag the divider upwards, but by doing so I loose sight of V1 V2 etc, it would be better if I lost sight of the higher up tracks like V4 etc.

4. Add Creation date to the columns in the Timeline panel on the Edit page.

5. Fix the bug or function where if the user clicks ADD (+) HSL Qualification Button it stays enabled despite the fact that the user is on a new clip. It would be far more efficient if it would reset itself to the default mode when on a new clip. Why do we have to go back and uncheck it manually just so we can create a new qualification on a new clip?

6. I understand the need for a clean and unified interface but why does every panel menu (top right corner with three vertical dots) have to be a drop down menu when there is only 1 item in it. I.e Reset option. Most of the panels could just use a Reset Icon and a Link Icon (Gang and Ungang) instead of the drop down. This would still be clean and would save us the extra clicks! Design is getting in the way of functionality here. Another prime example of this is the Node drop down menu (selects same node, last adjusted etc). Its two levels deep right now without anything else in the first level.

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
on Feb 26, 2014 at 1:23:05 pm

- When drawing a power curve window closing the shape always defaults to a hard point. In order to pull out the handles you have to close the shape then click on it and pull out the handles. You should be able to do this on closing the shape just like every other compositing application.

- numerical timecode input to jump to a specific point in the source clip, timeline etc etc.

- numerical input for slipping a clip like all other NLE's on the market. Makes no sense to not have it if resolve wants to function as an online tool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]