FORUMS: list search recent posts

OFX plugins not very stable… Other experiences?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat Jencks
OFX plugins not very stable… Other experiences?
on Feb 10, 2014 at 11:43:29 pm

Hey folks, what are peoples experiences regarding stability of OFX Plugins? I've been using them ALOT and finding many of them quite unstable. I'm using Sapphire, Film convert (for grain), Neat, and others.

Sapphire especially seems a bit buggy and crashes a lot.

Wondering if I throw a more powerful machine at this (New 12 core Mac Pro?) if things will improve, or if this is just inherent bugginess in the OFX architecture and the OFX plugins for Resolve being relatively new?

It seems like this may be related to RAM or GPU memory...

What are others experiencing?

best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
Re: OFX plugins not very stable… Other experiences?
on Feb 15, 2014 at 2:45:53 pm

OFX have been great but they slow playback down to a crawl. Nat, what other plugins have you found worthwhile?

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Feb 15, 2014 at 6:24:06 pm

Yes, performance is typically pretty poor, but thats to be expected in my opinion since these are typically fairly CPU intensive. Actually I've been fairly impressed with film convert's performance when switched to GPU, I get realtime grain generation. I prefer this to Cinegrain.

I've been using Sapphire a ton. Even simple effects like "transform" are useful, since I can use a transform and draw a mask around it to do basic "clone tool" paint jobs.

Also, simple glow effects and lens flares in sapphire can be nice.

Neat noise reduction is amazing, although honestly I've been using it way less now that temporal noise reduction is built it. I find neat to be marginally better, but the built in is so much more convenient that I've been using that more recently. Beauty Box is just ok. sometimes better than selective blurring by hand, sometimes not. But definitely worth having so you can give a shot with tricky beauty fixes.

Best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

Harris Charalambous
on Feb 15, 2014 at 6:58:53 pm

Hey Nat, thanks for the feedback!

Film convert is a great one and worth the money for sure.

I've tried Saphire and its amazing, but its too much money. I'd happily loose some plugins to make the price more reasonable as I think there are plugins that I'll probably never use. A Resolve Edition would be great but I've exchanged emails with Genarts about it and I don't think Resolve users are a priority to them (longer story).

Neat, has been on my list for awhile but as you mentioned the new noise tools are pretty good and very convenient.

I need to look into beauty box again.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]