FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chroma Check

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Edwards
Chroma Check
on Feb 7, 2014 at 2:15:37 am

Hello,

So I'm exporting footage out of Resolve to Avid for broadcast, and doing a lot of difference tests with this.

My problem is that I always get the chroma values out of range. I am using an FSI monitor and I don't see the RGB parade being as 'hot' as it appears in the Avid scopes. And it's just not showing up that much on the Vectorscope of Resolve that well either. I'm wondering what I can do about that? Right now I am applying a broadcast safe filter right over the Avid file, but I'd like to be able to 'fix' most of this in Resolve rather than clip so much in Avid.

Is this because I don't have an Ultrascope (or other outboard scope)?? I need to be able to better monitor and control this in Resolve when I'm the one sending to broadcast as opposed to flame. Right now I don't feel like I have that kind of control.

Also, I've experimented with many different workflows. Really surprised to find no difference between working in file Data levels to output Auto (or Legally Scaled) as opposed to file Video levels to output Auto (or Legally scaled). This is based on AMAing the clips into Avid.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
Re: Chroma Check
on Feb 7, 2014 at 2:33:01 am

I guess an obvious follow up questing is, why can I see more with the Avid scopes than Resolve's?

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Feb 7, 2014 at 6:33:49 am

What file type you are using ?

Some files do lift a bit.

Even 1% "over" would kill it.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu
https://vimeo.com/iconstudioseu/videos

DaVinci 10, OSX 10.8.5
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GUI 4000 / GPU GTX 780
DL 4K
Eizo Color
Scope Box
Full Ligthspace CMS

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Feb 7, 2014 at 9:33:26 am

Hi William,

You should never use AMA to import material to Avid!
If you do, you have a graphic/video-level source editor in the bin.

Since Avid works in video levels internally, you need to set the monitor options in Resolve to normal and export MXF directly to the AvidMediaFiles/MXF/1,2,3 etc - folder.
The white and black levels will match up perfectly between 16-235.

Do NOT apply a broadcast safe, as it does not remap but clip your levels and chroma.

The

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Feb 7, 2014 at 1:00:23 pm

Hey Stig,

This would even happen with AMA then import, then check that imported clip?

It's the RGB chroma values I'm looking at.

What workflow would you recommend? Auto on clip import in Resolve, then export at 'scaled legal video'? Or Video on clip import in Resolve?

Yes, the broadcast safe filter does clip. This is a good thing in case there's an errant pixel that Resolve might have missed, correct? The problem is that I'm seeing too much remapping of the RGB values (in this particular case it was too much green color in the low values).

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Feb 7, 2014 at 1:03:51 pm

PS I've had clients ask me for ProRes for Avid out to Broadcast before, and I bet that was AMA'd then imported. This is the first time I'm sending it out to Broadcast myself.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 7, 2014 at 5:07:04 pm

I find it very difficult to export out-of-gamut values from Resolve.

Because I do send a lot of material back and forth between FCP, Resolve, and Symphony, the RGB conflicts are a little more familiar. Almost 100% of the time, the values jump because the full-scale RGB and linear video 709 scaling gets confused. Particularly hateful when a VFX house exports things in Animation.mov or ProRes4444 because its "better"... and what gets screwed up is the image values get very distorted, and not in a linear way (gamma is not correctly computed). This is also why your broadcast legal solution is not the correct choice as a fix.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Feb 9, 2014 at 7:20:43 pm

Hi Joseph,

What would you recommend?

Return to posts index

mikee carpinter
on Feb 7, 2014 at 9:21:24 pm

Hi there
Are you saying that once grading is done in resolve then exporting a pro res master file and AMA into avid is incorrect?
I do this everyday and deliver to networks and never had issues and had compared my pictures from MXF and Quicktimes and they are identical.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Feb 9, 2014 at 12:54:20 pm

Hi Mikee,

AMA is resource hungry and drive speed dependent, and will not work properly for some.
MXF is way faster and the most reliable way of dealing with material in Avid, and is trusted in most professional facilities,
I recommend that you only use AMA to select clips, and transcode/cosolidate to MXF.

But hey, whatever works for you.

Stig

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Feb 9, 2014 at 7:23:32 pm

Hey Stig,

If you wouldn't mind, it would be great if you could answer the questions I had mentioned before? I'd really love to hear what you could suggest as the best course of action for import through export in Resolve, and then try it on my own.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Feb 9, 2014 at 7:22:01 pm

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

It's kind of odd, because the 'alarm' in Avid doesn't go off, yet the scope in Avid tells me that my chroma levels are too low, and the RGB alarm on my FSI monitor does go off.

Strange?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]