FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 10 - p2 spanned clips

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tina Hedegaard
Resolve 10 - p2 spanned clips
on Feb 6, 2014 at 8:38:04 am

I have a documentary with a lot of mixed material, including P2.
I think it is great that Resolve 10 accepts P2, so I can do most of my online in Resolve.
But I have encountered a problem.

Resolve doesn't seems to recognise spanned clips, not on one reel and not on clips spanned over two reels.

Does anyone know a solution to this within Resolve?

Thanks

Tina Hedegaard
Editor | Assisting Editor
Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 5.5.3/6.0.3 | Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
Mac OS 10.6.8| Mac OS 10.7.4 | Mac OS 10.8.2

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Resolve 10 - p2 spanned clips
on Feb 6, 2014 at 9:59:44 pm

[Tina Hedegaard] " within Resolve?"

Depends on how you are encountering this issue. I have not attempted to edit a project in Resolve, and it seems like a somewhat dubious proposition, at least for now. If you are importing an XML and Resolve isn't seeing the whole spanned take, (which also happens in AAF imports) I did have some success with importing all the spanned files into the Media browser, as discrete files. It worked for a C300 project, which was a miracle since some takes consisted of 17-18 bridged clips.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Tina Hedegaard
on Feb 7, 2014 at 11:08:39 am

Hi Joseph

Thanks for your reply.

You are right that the aaf does not see the clips as spanned clips.
But I actually think the real issue is that Resolve cannot manage spanned clips, Resolve sees each clip as individuals, but the clips that indeed are spanned has a lot of errors - glitches, mpeg-errors, black gaps - so even though resolve actually links to the correct part of the clip, it is not useful.

In every other program the clips are fine - fcp, avid, premiere, prelude.

So my question is, how do I make Resolve see the spanned clips as clips without errors.

I have not tried any other formats with spanned clips yet, I will see if I have som C300 as test material.

Thanks

Tina Hedegaard
Technical Supervisor | Editor | Assisting Editor
Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 6.5.4, 7.0.3| Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, CC
Mac OS 10.6.8| Mac OS 10.7.4 | Mac OS 10.8.2 | Mac OS 10.9.1

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 7, 2014 at 4:57:22 pm

[Tina Hedegaard] "Resolve cannot manage spanned clips, Resolve sees each clip as individuals, but the clips that indeed are spanned has a lot of errors - glitches, mpeg-errors, black gaps"

The NLEs handle the media positioning with a different engine than Resolve, which has been wrestling with frame counting for a long time. It was the same with Final Touch/ Apple COLOR -- it is a little bit related to mixed frame rates on a single time line.

I could not say for sure that what is going on is confusion about what the base frame rate is and how a trim-in is computed, but most of these third-party applications make assumptions about the media, and then start predicting what frame to use based on absolute frame counts, so inevitably there will be problems if there is a conflict -- and I can see where a Long-GOP, spanned system might land on something other than an intra-frame most of the time, with the result being something displayed other than a recognizable image, because it is landing on a bidirectional or predictive frame, when it really needs to see a whole (intra) frame to start rebuilding the GOP. If the ibp cadence is broken on a spanned clip, errors are a matter of "when", not "if".

In the interim, what we have been doing for the last 8 years or so, is Media-Managing (Consolidating) the locked cut to an intra format like ProRes or DnXHD that ALWAYS WORKS. The extremely slight sacrifice of moving one generation away from the original source media is negligible. More so these days than in 2005 for sure.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]