FORUMS: list search recent posts

What am I doing wrong? Roundtrip with RED?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Slobodan Milivojevic
What am I doing wrong? Roundtrip with RED?
on Jan 31, 2014 at 7:58:43 am

Hi guys, I am grading a RED sequence in Resolve, and I want to convert it to DPX sequence or AVID DnXHDMOV, and have it back to Premiere again.
Every time I try to do roundtrip, and when I export XML after the encoding, it is loading only original RED files, and not the graded ones! What am I doing wrong?? I was watching many tutorials on the same subject, but I can't figure the mistake in my workflow.

Here is what I have done:

1. Edited RED sequence in Premiere
2. Exported XML
3. Loaded XML to Resolve and graded the footage
4. Exported to DPX 10 bit sequences and additional output AVID DnX files
5. Once the exporting was done, I saved XML from Resolve
6. Opened new XML in Premiere, I have only ungraded sequence with RED files agan!

Looks like I have to do it all manually?

Awaiting for your comments :)
Thanks!

Director/Editor/Postproduction manager
@ Talking Pictures productions Bahrain
http://www.vimeo.com/channels/bobansky

Return to posts index

Michael Tiemann
Re: What am I doing wrong? Roundtrip with RED?
on Jan 31, 2014 at 12:13:13 pm

I think I know the answer, because I was bit by the exact same problem a few weeks ago. Resolve currently has some very idiosyncratic concepts about its XML workflow. If you want your XML file to reflect your exported files, YOU HAVE TO EXPORT YOUR DIGIAL FILES AND XML AT THE SAME TIME.

But it gets worse. The only way to do that simultaneous export is to pick a special export option (either one-way or round trip). You can modify parameters in that special export option (such as destination, resolution, etc), but YOU CANNOT SAVE THE MODIFIED EXPORT PARAMETERS AS A PRESET TO USE LATER. You have to start from the magic export preset that Resolve gives you at the start.

Your XML file will magically appear as part of your file exports, and that's what you then need to import back into your workflow.

I think they've made some horrible UX decisions with respect to the XML workflow, and I hope that my comments become obsolete in a near-term upgrade. But in the mean time, know that Resolve does not treat XML as a general feature, but rather as a very special case. One which is quite fragile, and which fails catastrophically the instant you try to do any kind of editing to the XML file at all. Which, of course, defeats the whole purpose of an eXtensible Markup Language.

Manifold Recording
Pittsboro, NC
http://manifoldrecording.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]